Chapter 42: Spy

Allen POV

It's been about a week since we returned with the Priestess stone, and life has only gotten busier. Ceil has been helping Alex with his work load, and also been taking more lessons on magic and swordsmanship. I had decided to stay in the castle for a bit more, telling my father and Alice that I'm helping the King and Ceil with the war preparations.

 This past week, Me, Ceil, Violet and William have become quite the group. We meet up regularly to discuss the plan a little bit more, and to brainstorm ideas. Today was another one of these meetings. Everything was going well, until Violet spoke up, 

"I'm going to go undercover in the Demon Kings palace." 

The room went silent.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Back at the graduation ceremony, he said to find him when I decide whether to go against him or join him. I can use this to my advantage." She said with determination. 

"No! Violet, you saw what he is like!" I raised my voice slightly. 

"I know exactly how dangerous that man is, but that's the reason I'm going! If I can get close enough, we will have an even bigger advantage against him! We need to use everything at our disposal!" She raised her voice back.

I went silent. I knew she was right. It's a great opportunity, but... she was my sister, I didn't want her going straight into danger. "I don't know.... I just found you again, why do you have to leave?" 

Violet looked conflicted. "I'm not leaving. I will come back, I won't let myself be killed. If I sense I'm in danger, I will run away." 

We went back and fourth like that for ages. Bringing up the same arguments. By the end I couldn't do anything but agree, after all, I know I would do the same exact thing if that was me in her place.....

But what had eased my anxiousness was Williams suggestion to go to the Demon King with her. He said he had some kind of 'relationship' with the Demon King, but didn't disclose much. He said that he could be the one to communicate between Violet and us. 

We discussed what Violet needed to do to gain the Demon Kings trust, how to pry for information, and so on. 

It was a day before she was scheduled to leave. I knocked on the door of the spare room she had been staying at inside the palace. She opened the door with a crack, and once she saw it was me, opened it fully.

"What are you doing here? It's pretty late." She questioned.

"I..." I inhaled sharply, I couldn't really get the words out. "I came to say goodbye." 

"oh." She stared at me. "Come in." 

I entered the room. There was silence for a long while. While they had been brother and sister, It was always hard to try and make conversation with them.

"Please, be safe." I finally said something.

"Of course I will be safe. What? Do you think I want to die?" She laughed.

"Violet...." I smiled softly. " I love you."

Her smile dropped. Small tears formed on her eyes. "I love you too, dummy."

We hugged for a while, and I repeated some of the rules and cautions they had discussed in the meetings. 

In the morning, Violet had already left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Violet POV

I stared at the small piece of paper in my hands. It was handed to me when The Demon King made the offer to me. 

I had walked quite far away from the castle, as to not cause suspicion of me being a spy. I would be lying If I said I wasn't nervous. This man was dangerous. I knew this. But.... The Kingdom has to be saved somehow, right? And we needed every little advantage we could get.

A groan sounded behind me. "Could you hurry up, please, I'm so bored!" It was William.

Honestly, I was very surprised by his offer to come with me. I knew he has some kind of connection with the Demon King, but the game never really went into heavy detail about it. 

"Ok, ok, I'm doing it." I sighed and tore the piece of paper in half. 

At first, nothing happened, but then wind swirled around them and suddenly, they weren't in a far off field in the middle of nowhere, but inside a dark and very big room. 

The walls of the room were gray or black, I couldn't really tell. Most of the candles that were supposed to give light to the room weren't lit. It made the room look much more eerie than if it had been lit. 

"So, you've finally made your choice." A voice came from the very end of the room. There was no light there. You couldn't even make out a figure, but you could hear it. You could hear the heavy and oppressive steps, the voice that you could tell was smiling.

"And look who you brought with you." The Demon King oved his eyes to William. "Hi again, William."

"Hello, uncle."