Chapter 5: Being family is hard

These past few weeks, I've been getting closer to Alice. Although I don't know if she still has some prejudice against me, I think I can safely say she views me as a brother. I had been busy with trying to befriend Alice, that I completely forgot about the other member of our family, until I was called into the Duke's office.

I nervously walked through the manor halls, behind the attendant, that was leading me to the office. We stopped at two wooden double doors. The attendant knocked, and a low voice said from inside the room, "come in".

The attendant opened the door and let me through. I stepped into the room. Its walls were white, and the wooden floors matched the rest of the furniture in the room. In front of me was a long desk, and sitting behind it was the Duke.

To be honest, I don't know much of his character, the only place I saw him in was that cutscene, and a few lines from the other characters, so didn't know much when I walked in here.

"Hello, son." He said in a monotone voice, his face still. It looks like I inherited my lacking facial muscles from him.

"Don't worry, I didn't call you in here because you're in any trouble." He reassured me. "I....I haven't been able to have a proper talk with you. Mostly because there is so much work to be done because of... your mothers death, but also because I don't know what to say." He chuckled quietly saying that last part.

"Sit down, he said gently. Pointing at the couch at the side of the room. He got up from his chair and made his way to the armchair next to it. I sat down on the couch, my short legs dangling from the edge.

"How have you been?" The Duke asked. It seems he wanted to make up for lost time, and actually start a relationship with his children. I assume he wasn't really successful in the game, as Alice used it as an excuse to get him to buy whatever she wanted, and Allen wasn't much of a talker.

"Im doing good." I responded, my voice coming out monotone.

"Haha, it seems. I... figured Alice would be a bit prejudiced against you, but from what I've heard, you've been getting along with each other." He said with a small smile on his face. Ah. It seems he can at least move his face. Traitor.

Anyway, I nodded in agreement.

"Although I know it's not nearly enough, do you mind doing this more often, we can talk about how our weeks have gone." He said.

"Sure." I responded, trying to sound more enthusiastic, although I doubt he noticed.

"Great! I'll see you next week!" He laughed.