Chapter 1

"Sometimes I'll be standing somewhere and realize that everyone around me will one day be dead. I'll be looking in on a crowd from outside, and they'll start morphing into this jumble of colors until they barely resemble themselves. And the idea that they exist seems odd because they are no longer people. They're merely unrecognizable objects that take up space until they're gone."

Biglang natauhan si Karylle nang marinig ang pagtawag ng taxi driver na huminto sa kaniyang harapan. She was standing outside the airport habang hawak ang kaniyang maleta at medical journal na kanina niya pa hindi binibitawan.

She looked at her wristwatch. It was already seven in the evening and she realized that she was standing there for almost ten minutes.

"Ano, miss? Sasakay ka ba o hindi?" tila naiinip na tanong ng taxi driver na mukhang kanina pa tinatawag ang nakatulalang si Karylle.

"S-Sorry," she snapped out of her thoughts and immediately slid the medical journal back inside her suitcase. "Pakilagay nalang po tong maleta sa likod," at agad siyang sumakay ng taxi.

With her eyes fixed outside the cab's window, Karylle handed the driver a piece of paper. A certain address written on it. Naintindihan naman agad ito ng driver kaya pinatakbo na nito ang sasakyan.

It took almost an hour after which they reach that particular address. Nang makababa ng sasakyan, sandali pang natigilan si Karylle habang nakatanaw sa malaking bahay. The facade remained polished and well taken care of, but it was obviously clear that no one had lived there in years.

She briefly scanned the exterior areas of the house, remembering the memories they had as a family. But she could not recall any happy thought. All she remembered was her parents arguing and shouting at each other inside that big house.

"I can't do this," tila wala sa sariling giit ni Karylle at agad na napalingon sa taxi driver na ibababa na sana ang dala niyang maleta. "Please take me to the nearest bar," she said and quickly went back inside the cab.

•~•~•~•

Ironic as it may sound but the blinding lights, loud music, and all the chattering seemed to keep Karylle's nerves at ease habang iniinom niya ang inorder niyang shots ng tequila.

Mag-isa lang siyang nakaupo sa tapat ng bar counter, quietly enjoying her own drink.

Even though she's completely aware of her weak tolerance for alcohol, Karylle insisted that she deserves to cut herself some slack. Kahit ngayong gabi lang. Lalong-lalo na sa papasukin niyang mundo bukas. A once in a lifetime opportunity that will make or break her surgical career.

But spending almost her entire life studying and living abroad somehow made her a total stranger to a place she once considered home.

No friends. No family. Just nobody to turn to.

If it weren't for her dad and the promising offer of a medical residency in Lopez Memorial Hospital, she would have never considered coming back at all.

"Straight tequila, alone and unaccompanied. Hulaan ko, this is one of those tough nights, huh?" Karylle turned to the person who suddenly spoke. Umupo pa ito sa tabi niya ng hindi manlang nagpapaalam.  He didn't even bother to introduce himself. "I'm guessing someone is going to be sorry in the morning," he smiled at her then turned to the bartender.

"Scotch please, and make it double," nakangiti ring giit nito bago muling ibinalik ang mga mata kay Karylle na agad namang umiwas ng tingin.

"I'm always sorry in the morning," she briefly answered without showing any interest in letting out more words. But she still tried to be polite by not rolling her eyes at the person beside her.