Chapter 2 ~ The rabbit trail ends and another begins

Beginne am Anfang

As I was shopping around I noticed the royal procession. This could only mean someone of my household was approaching in the streets. Quickly, I pulled my cloak over my curly head and ducked into the shadows. I was halfway behind the linen sellers stand without even noticing.

"You need help?" Came a young boys voice.  Looking sharply over my shoulder, I saw a Chester, my soon to be friend.

"Yes," I said. "I don't want to be seen by Prince Leonard. I know him and let's just say he would have too many questions about my being here."

"Hmmmm...Well I can help you. Follow me." He slowly back inside of the dark shop. I followed.

Inside I was surprised to see the shop in a frenzied state. There was an ominous spindle standing in a candlelit corner. Heaps of linens were strewn  about the workspace.  A disorganized table was perched against the back wall, covered in sewing patterns, pin cushions, and untidy spools of thread.

The walls were decorated in shelving dripping in old melted candle wax that  hardened into pools on the tile floor.  A worn red rug was laid out by a fireplace with an old oak rocking chair. Then, in a dark, cold corner was a sad looking mat on the ground with a sorry excuse for a pillow at the head and tattered, fraying blankets.  I hoped that was not this young boys bed.

"This way," the boy said and directed me towards a back window around the corner

"This way," the boy said and directed me towards a back window around the corner. It was large enough to fit through.  Chester went through and I followed.

"I'm Chester by the way," he said as I pulled my leg through the window.

"Fastsudtine," I replied as I took in my surroundings. We were in a small alleyway between buildings. Dashing to the end of the alley I peaked around the corner. "Dammit!" I need to get my linens today but that procession is blocking the way. If I go now I'll surely be spotted.  I really need to get back home before I'm missed. I skipped lessons for this trip today."

"HMMM. What did you need today? If you tell me I can grab it for you and you can pay me and I will give it to my master."

I thought it over. It wasn't a bad idea. "It's a pretty big order," I began "I'm renovating my laboratory in the Palace."

"You're the princess?" Chester bellowed.

"Yes yes, but please hush. I don't want anyone knowing right now." He looked at me admiringly but said nothing.

"OK," I said, "I have an idea. I'll place an Order on the linens but I'll need help getting them back home. Also -"

"Home?! As in the royal palace?!" He interjected.

"Yeah." I said in reply as I rummaged about for a pen.

"I'll help!" He cried hopping up on his toes.

"OK, OK." I replied, "But remember, hush. No one can know about it for now." I was beginning to formulate a plan, one for me, and one for Chester.