Part 8

At lunch on Friday, you were being extra quiet on the roof. You were torn between telling Kenma about your study session with Kuroo and keeping it a secret.

On one hand, telling him might result in him wanting to join and you were sure having two boys over at once would result in a heart attack. And even if he didn't want to join, would he be upset that he wasn't invited? Or that you were hanging out with Kuroo instead of him? He was always so hard to read you weren't sure how he'd feel about it.

On the other hand, if you didn't tell him, but he found out about it another way, or if Kuroo told him what his plans were, would he feel betrayed by you not telling him and be even more upset?

These thoughts were swirling round your head, and you were twiddling your hair in your fingers. Kenma glanced sideways at you while there was a break in his game.

"You always do that when you're nervous about something." He said.

"Hmm? Do what?" you said breaking eye contact with the spot on the floor you'd been staring intently at.

"You play with your hair when you're nervous." He repeated.

"Oh." You said dropping you hand from your head and tucking it between your thighs to stop you fidgeting.

"You don't have to worry, Kuro won't do anything weird, if he said he's going to tutor you he will. He's a good guy." Kenma said, still not looking up from his game.

Crap, so Kuroo had already told Kenma he was going to tutor you tonight.

"That's not really what I'm nervous about. Well, yeah, I am nervous about him coming over, but I would be about anyone. I've never had a friend come over before. Honestly, I thought you'd be the first person I invited over, but it just never seemed like the right time to ask, and my mum can be really embarrassing. The only reason Kuroo is coming over is because he kinda invite himself over and-" You clapped you hands over your mouth to stem the flow of word vomit.

Kenma paused his game to look at you. His golden eyes studied your face for what felt like ages. You could feel yourself growing hot under his gaze, so you looked down at your feet and continued speaking, only slower this time.

"My point is, I thought maybe you'd be mad that Kuroo was coming over to mine and I hadn't invited you over yet. Are you?"

"Do you want to invite me over?" He asked in his usual voice, you forced yourself to look at him again. His expression was unreadable as usual.

"Of course I do, you're my best friend." This was the first time you'd called him that, but it was true. It had been a fact since that first lunch on the roof where you were sat right now.

The warm sun was shining down directly above you and a light breeze ruffled both yours and Kenma's hair. His roots were starting to show through on his scalp now, he didn't seem to be bothered enough to re-dye it.

"Then I'm not mad. Just invite me over when you're ready." He said going back to his game.

You sat there for a moment longer quietly watching his fingers fly across the controller before the bell rang and you both got up to go back to class. You wished you could tell what he was thinking.

-

Your mum was in the kitchen fussing over five different pans as the room filled with steam, you knew she'd go overboard. The doorbell rang and you shouted through to her that you'd get it.

Your palms were clammy with sweat, you wiped them on your skirt before opening the door to let Kuroo in.

He was in his Nekoma High tracksuit with his jacket unzipped revealing a black t-shirt underneath. He stepped inside and kicked off his shoes. You told him to leave his gym bag in the hall and showed him through to the living room where your mum had set up the dinner table already.