Hope's Fall

Yuki
the present

Turns out metal doesn't fare well against the likes of fire and explosives. Just like Kaido and I thought. When my dad, Shoto-san, and Deku-san got on the scene, they proved that and more.

Trapped in an ice barrage, surrounded by three of the best heroes in the world, the Magneto-wannabe didn't stand a chance. Deku came in from the sky, green lightning flickering around his shape.

I'd seen the past generation's big three fight together on the news before, mom holding Ame and I in her arms. When dad would come home she'd either slap him for not being careful enough or kiss him so hard he fell against the door or both.

Seeing him and his two counterparts here and now was an entirely different experience.

Deku used Blackwhip to disable any pieces of metal our villain was manipulating. He landed with presence like no other, the green flecks glowing on the ice. Dynamight arrived last, but with more fervor than any. His explosions smashed Shoto-san's ice to bits, making enough commotion that the criminal was finally out of commission.

With a quirk like his, we thought he'd fight back. But the moment his mask was removed, his face visible to the world, our villain didn't so much as move a muscle when handcuffs clipped his wrists.

Now, I stand exactly where I did fearing for my brother and his friend's life. The police sirens ring steady, blue and red casting shadows on the street, steam rising off the remaining ice walls. Dynamight, Deku, and Shoto are putting the villain in police custody, their cars now parked against the sidewalk. Some draw a perimeter while others motion for emergency responders to take care of civil damage.

I gave the pros as much room as I could, but I was on the frontlines. That means I have to give report. How the hell am I supposed to do that when my head's anything but leveled!? It's full of only fear as I run towards Kaido.

His arms are still wrapped around my brother. When they stand, Kaido helps him up, his costume scrapped and torn. Acting as a shield and wrapping yourself around another human being while using your flashfire to ward off an attacker tends to roughen you up a bit. Don't get me wrong. I'm more thankful for Kaido's speed and act of heroics than anything right now.

It's probably the only reason Ame doesn't have a metal rod sticking out of his back.

"You idiot!" I yell, gripping Ame's face in both my hands, turning him every which way to examine his body. I'm frowning so hard I think my face is gonna break. "What hurts!?"

Meanwhile, Ame looks like he's seen a ghost. From the incident, his hair's all messed up, the darkness blending into the night. Dust and asphalt stain his skin, his crewneck slick with Mu's blood.

"I-I'm fine," He says, shutting his eyes tight and opening them again, regaining his balance. "Your arm's bleeding."

He tries to look at my arm, his brows knit, but I smack him away, immediately tugging his forehead against mine. We're standing in the center of the street surrounded by cops and firefighters, but I don't give a shit.

He's okay. A sigh of relief like I can't describe escapes me.

Kaido stands behind Ame, arms crossed, looking around to see if he's needed anywhere else. I'll thank him for saving his life later. For now, we've both got work to do.

"Is Mu okay?" Ame whispers, his hands pushing on my shoulders as he looks down at me.

"They'll be fine. You can go check on them." I nod my head towards the side of the road where the ambulance set up. Hina recovered Mu and got them to safety. The chloroform wasn't enough to knock them out too long, but the hit their head took has unpredictable consequences.