epilogue.

five years later

five years later

"Are you nervous about seeing him again?" James asks, resting his chin in his hands as he gazes at Teddy from across the kitchen

Teddy just rolls her eyes. "I saw him a week ago, James."

"Yeah, but you were together a week ago." James continues insistently, apparently undeterred by the way she is clearly trying to avoid this conversation. "This is your first time seeing him since you broke up, isn't it?"

Teddy just purses her lips and doesn't answer. Instead, she focuses all her attention on pulling the baking tray out of the oven. Her mini muffins don't look very impressive, but she's sure the taste will make up for their appearance.

"These things happen, Ted." James says softly, watching her fuss over her baking. "Relationships don't always work out. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I know that." Teddy snaps, irritated. Merlin, can't he see that she isn't ready to talk about it?

From outside the kitchen, the sound of children's laughter filters into the tense quiet between Teddy and James. Finally, he seems to take the hint that she doesn't want to talk about her feelings, and he subsides into silence. At least, for a moment.

"You didn't have to bake, you know."

"My godson only turns five once." Teddy points out, beginning to carefully lay out the muffins on the kitchen counter. She pokes hopefully at them, but they remain misshapen. "They're birthday muffins."

"Right." James mutters, unconvinced. "Because nothing says 'happy birthday' like a bunch of poisoned party guests."

Teddy shoots him a highly-offended look. "My baking has gotten better, dickhead!"

"Has it?" He mumbles, eyeing the rather deformed mini muffins doubtfully.

Irritated, Teddy removes the little apron she'd been wearing for baking and throws it over the back of one of the chairs at the dining table. She had actually been enjoying baking in peace before James had decided to come in and bother her.

The kitchen is currently the quietest room in the whole house, considering the place has been invaded by all of Harry's little friends and just about everybody that James and Lily have even a passing acquaintance with. They've really gone all out for Harry's fifth birthday, and Teddy supposes she can't blame them. Everyone positively adores Harry, and his family's willingness to give him anything he's ever hoped for has only increased tenfold since his brush with danger as an infant all those years ago.

Still though, Teddy finds herself reluctant to leave the quiet sanctity of the kitchen. She doesn't want to socialise with all these smiling people, doesn't want to deal with the questions they'll no doubt have.