Chapter XIV: Trust

(L/N) was the last one to change into his hero costume. As always, he lagged behind his peers to avoid any unwanted attempts at conversation, today especially, given the amount of attention that had already been thrown his way due to the events that had transpired during his internship. He entered just as most of the others were finishing changing, Sero having some difficulty with his helmet before taking off through the door after Kaminari.

By the time he finished changing and exited the locker room, the rest of the class had already taken off towards Field Gamma to face whatever UA had in store for them for the day, putting a good five minutes between himself and the others. He was just passing by the 1A homeroom when Aizawa's voiced stopped him.

"Hold up, (L/N). I'd like the three of you to go to Field Gamma as a group."

Moving from behind his lectern, Aizawa slid the door fully open to allow Iida and Yaoyorozu to step through. As Class Representative and VP, their teacher had apparently held the two back to assist him with class preparations.

"Make sure to hurry." Their teacher said before closing the door.

With a single curt nod and quick bow, Iida and Yaoyorozu fell into step beside (L/N) and the three students began their trek towards the exit nearest their destination. Arms still wrapped in thick, heavy bandages, Iida was instead donned in his PE outfit, his normally animated arms swinging lazily by his sides while his height acted as a barrier between the other two.

"(L/N)," he said conversationally, oblivious to the tension between his classmates, "I saw the news coverage of what happened at Funakoshi's. I'd like to commend you on your actions. And you as well, Yaoyorozu. Both of you acted very heroically. I'm proud of you."

"Er, thank you, Iida." Yaoyorozu said uncomfortably. "Although I don't know how much of your praise I should be sharing in. (L/N)'s the one that saved everyone."

"Hmm, that may be so." Iida said thoughtfully. "But you shouldn't be so dismissive of your part in saving those people."

"But I..."

"Iida." (L/N) interrupted. "Why don't you go ahead. Join the others. We'll catch up."

Iida looked at him in surprise. "Nonsense." He said. "It's my duty as Class Representative to ensure that all members of our class safely arrive at their designated location in a timely fashion."

"I'm sure we can manage." (L/N) replied. "I'd be more worried about the rest of the class, seeing as how both the Class Rep and VP are absent."

Iida rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I suppose you do have a point." He agreed. "Very well. I'll inform All Might that you two will arrive later. But do hurry, you don't want to miss too much of today's lesson."

With that, Iida ran off towards the fields, leaving a small cloud of dust trailing behind him. Now alone, the two walked in a tense silence. Yaoyorozu crossed her arms over her chest, almost like she was hugging herself. It was the first time they'd been alone together since the sports festival. (L/N) wondered if Yaoyorozu still remembered the last time they'd spoke. Based on how she quickened her pace to distance herself, he assumed she did.

"Yaoyorozu, wait." He said.

"You heard Iida," she said, not slowing down, "we should hurry."

"Please, wait." He repeated. "I wanted... I wanted to apologize."

He heard her footsteps come to a stop.

"For yelling at you." He finished awkwardly.

Yaoyorozu rubbed her arm, her body angled away from him. "It's alright." She said quietly.