REALITY

• Dedicated to Colleen Vaughn

 Johnathan Wise ripped around the intersection at Burns street in his mother’s brand new Cadillac Escalade, finishing his performance with a graceful burnout.  His knuckles clenched the wheel as his eyes catapulted as he looked up at the sprinkling rain. A yellow Mercedes revved, catching his attention, and a faint smoke filled the air, making it even harder to see through the headlights.  John glanced at the 'MrBoSS' that was glued to the bumper and giggled. The Mercedes was clearly owned by some stuck up old man. He knew the type. The light flashed green and John revved the Escalade hoping for a challenge-clearly underestimating the speed and danger.

                You wanna go buddy?

                The Mercedes revved back. The two ripped through the fresh green light onto the narrow highway. Though it was highway 39, a one way highway, the most accident prone road for LA, it didn't faze John.

                Just as John had caught up to the furious Mercedes, he didn't see an old stuck up man who was too rich for his suburban neighborhood. Instead, he saw a girl. Her golden curls whipped the side of her door and her eyes, so grey, stood out like a pebble on miles of white sand.

                “What are you doing! You idiot! Move!”

                She screamed knowingly. Her grey eyes ate up John's olive eyes. He glanced back to the highway, when she jerked off the road into a ditch of Arrow-woods.

                A Semi truck carrying 300 gallons of fuel sped up to 90Mph in the wrong lane. While John was too busy watching this girls' hair flail violently. He glanced ahead taking no notice. Looked back at the girl and suddenly jolted his head back, grabbed the steering wheel, ripping it desperately to the right only seeing the advancing high beams. Lights out.

                Earlier that evening, John’s Mother went off to work, warning him to stay in the house. John was supposed to make an appearance at a costume party; the grad party of the year.

                “But Mom, I only have to drive a few blocks, c’mo-”

                “I said no young man!”

                John rarely listened to his mother; it wasn’t the same since his father passed. In John’s mind, she didn’t understand, she couldn’t get that he was suffering, so he decided to neglect her. Though he was awfully good at lying to his mother’s face. He found it amusing to test her patience.  Like that one time, he brought home a girl who he knew right away his mom would despise. Her name was Alicia. She wore her school uniform like no other. Her skirt, specifically ordered as an extra, extra small covered only enough so she couldn't get suspended. The guys loved it when she went to the water fountain; her stockings looked like those lingerie tights, the kinds that barely covered any leg. Along with her extra small skirt, her shirt too tight and see though. She had her way with anyone, curling her finger around her bleached hair.

                "But I don't wanna do tha test, do I have to Mr Billsworth?"

                It was that pout. The one where she would stick her breasts out, pleading for whatever it was she wanted. And that's how she got John and the impression by his mother.

                John's mother was a working widow. She worked night and day buying the boys clothes, gifts and food. She dreaded the day they would grow up and get their licenses and even though John just got his learner's permit, his mother forced him to wait until his final year of high school. That way, he was at no risk to follow his father's innocent mistake.