I took a few deep breaths to try and calm myself, but it was no use. My heart had been shattered into so many tiny fragments. Each piece felt like they were slowly ripping at every part of me when I tried to breathe, making it practically impossible to do so. It was like I was slowly suffocating from the inside out. Maybe ten minutes passed until it hit me... My parents... Fuck... I have to tell mom and dad... Shit... what about Ali?! Suddenly, I somehow remembered what Officer Jefferson had said to me during the drive here; that another unit was picking Ali up as well.

I took my cell phone out of my pocket with a shaky hand and proceeded to unlock my phone. When I did, I saw the usual selfie of Mia and me as my background. Seeing the love of my life like that had made a fresh wave of tears escape, which stopped me from contacting my parents. My heart had broken further, and I needed more time before I could even think of reaching out to those caring parents of mine. Another few minutes had passed until I was ready to text my parents. I had to do this through text as there was no way I could make this call. I knew I couldn't speak the words out loud yet... It's going to be hard, and it will hurt, but... I need to tell them this news in person...

Cambria: "Mom, I need you to come to this address: 2406 East Gardens Boulevard, and bring dad."

Mom: "Wait, that's a hospital. Why? What's wrong, honey? Are you okay?"

Before I could respond to her text, my mom called me, and I forwarded her call to voicemail... I can't talk now, Mom... I am sorry...

Cambria: "Please... just come."

Mom: "You're not making any sense, and I am worried. I tried calling Mia, but it went straight to voicemail."

The fact that my mom attempted to call Mia made me choke up, and more tears formed in my eyes. I wiped away whichever ones fell and replied to her.

Cambria: "I'll explain everything when you get here."

Mom: "Okay, honey. We're on our way."

At this point, I was crying again; my heart hurt so much just thinking of having to tell them Mia died. After her last message, I never checked to see if my mom sent me anything else. I just sat there, in the waiting room, crying my eyes out until I had nothing left in me. I wiped my tear-stained face with my shirt and felt numb. I had no idea how much time had passed, but the next thing I was aware of was the sound of my father's voice saying my name.

"Cambria."

I slowly looked up at him, and I could tell how concerned and confused he was from his expression. My mom knelt in front of me and took my hands into hers as she said, "Honey, what's going on...?"

"Yeah, and where is Mia?" My dad softly asked. I know he loved Mia like a daughter... and this just further breaks my heart...

I focused my attention on a spot on the floor right past my parents and took a shaky breath. Then, when I felt ready enough, I spoke up, summarizing everything to them, "Mia was in a car accident, and... she's... she's gone... she didn't make it..."

I wasn't sure how or why, but silence remained and followed; all I could hear was the commotion of the hospital staff surrounding us. I noticed my dad turned around from my peripheral vision and looked away from me. My mom's head slightly lowered just before she stood up and hugged my father in what seemed like a death grip. It was when my mom started crying, and my dad consoled her, when I felt the sting of tears forcing their way to my eyes for the millionth time tonight.

Several minutes had passed when my mom came back, grabbed my hand in hers, and lifted me from my seat. Then, she looked at me. I knew there was no way I could look her in the eyes; doing so would confirm everything yet again, and I would just fucking lose it. Deep breaths Cambria, just hold it in; be strong... You have to be...