Epilogue

Her hair was predictably perfectly coiffed, her raven locks curled and falling on her shoulders. Her feet were crammed into dainty high heels, and her body was zipped tightly into a dress that was already laid out on her bed when she arrived in the UK.

Emily looked good. Polished. Like she belonged.

But Emily wanted to be anywhere but here. London was suffocating her, and she longed for the warm embrace of campus. The only place that ever felt like home was unfortunately over three thousand miles away.

JJ was even farther.

Emily didn't mind flights. She was a trooper, used to the bustle of airports and the uncomfortable seats (even first class made Emily's back hurt sometimes) but there was something so uniquely depressing about dreading the Christmas holiday, when it was supposed to be the most magical time of year. Well, it was magical back in the US, where the snow fell down in pretty snowflakes instead of the sleet that covered London. It was magical when she had her first date with JJ in the holiday market, skating under the glowing lights. It was magical when she and JJ shared a chaste kiss as Emily left in her taxi on the way to the airport. Now, it felt like the last few weeks had been a fever dream as she was once again trapped in her old life.

She sipped her wine and tried to remain invisible. She wasn't good at it. She always felt like she stuck out like a sore thumb, the one interloper in the world of politics and high society. As a high schooler, she leaned into it. Rebelled. Eyeliner. Black clothing. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The usual stuff. She was good at making a scene and liked the attention, especially at her mother's expense. But Elizabeth Prentiss was good at wearing a person down.

Tonight, Emily would behave. At least, Emily vowed to try.

Emily flagged a server down to get her fingers on the hors d'oeuvres. She had no idea what they were, but they were delicious. She grabbed five.

"Emily," a stern voice came from behind her as soon as she placed the morsel in her mouth, "enough of that, you must watch your figure."

"Whatever mom," Emily replied flippantly, despite her mother's words making her wince internally.

"Come with me," her mother instructed before turning on her heel, leaving little room for debate.

She followed her mother into the other room of the extravagant apartment, stuffing the finger food into her mouth quickly before she had to make nice to whichever diplomat her mother wanted her to kiss up to.

This area had a pianist playing something by Vivaldi and the open bar, which probably had the most people milling about. Elizabeth walked up to two men, then looked back to ensure that her daughter had kept up. She gave Emily a look that said "behave or else" before smiling at the pair.

Some part of Emily hesitated, wondered if playing along, if behaving , was really what she was going to do. She compromised by rolling her eyes behind their backs.

"Mr. Easter," Ambassador Prentiss greeted the older man, "this is my daughter Emily. Emily, this is Mr. Easter and his son, Clyde. He's attending Cambridge but is currently on exchange at your little school this year."

Emily didn't react to the slight dig her mother put in at her school, knowing the Ambassador was just bitter that she didn't choose her own alma mater like she always intended.

"Pleasure," Emily said politely, shaking his hand and noting his strong grip and pale grey eyes.

"Happy to make your acquaintance, Emily," he replied. He had an intense stare and a ruthless aura about him.