Thanksgiving

Emily hauled her suitcase into the back of the taxi, and hopped in behind it, scooching over so that Derek could sit down next to her. Her back was still sore from the airplane, and she was feeling antsy after being seated for so long only to get into another vehicle. Derek told the driver their destination and shut the door. Soon, the two of them were speeding through the streets of Chicago on their way to Derek's family home.

"You never did tell me what happened that's got you all awkward and nervous around JJ all of a sudden," Derek said, with his all knowing look in his eyes.

Emily rolled her eyes, trying to push off suspicion.

"That's none of your business," Emily replied, fussing with her bangs, hoping that she would seem as if she was worrying about looking nice for Mrs. Morgan, and not about her friend probing into her personal life.

"Come on, Em," Derek said, "JJ was practically beet-red and wouldn't make eye contact with any of us for the rest of the night on Saturday."

Emily ignored him, staring out the window as the rain came down around them, and skyscrapers passed behind them.

It was Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving weekend, and, for the second year in a row, Emily was invited over to the Morgans'.

Last year, it was unexpected. When Emily had casually told Derek that she was planning on staying on campus for the holiday, he had shared this fact with his mother. Fran Morgan had none of that, and within minutes, Emily found herself booking a flight to Chicago at her invitation.

Prentiss family Thanksgivings typically were formal affairs, held at an embassy with dignitaries from various countries, where Emily needed to make sure she was using the right fork and saying the right thing because the fate of world peace was on the line. At least, that's what Elizabeth Prentiss implied when chastising Emily for her bad behaviour.

Last year, Emily had packed her formal clothes: a nice dress and even heels for the dinner, only to find Derek dressing up in only what he called his 'good jeans' and for the party to be filled with laughter and family rather than diplomacy and tense small talk.

This year, Emily had packed nice, but much more comfortable clothes, and pre-ordered a bouquet of flowers as a hostess gift for Mrs. Morgan. She was excited to see Derek's sisters—Sarah and Desiree—again and even more excited to sightsee around Chicago with Derek.

Emily was feeling good. She was comfortable in her friendships, her home on campus, and feeling nervous and excited about her burgeoning relationship with Jennifer Jareau. Emily hid her grin by watching the buildings speed past as the taxi drove through downtown.

"Come on Prentiss, you know you can tell me anything," he insisted, "I won't judge."

This was true. But Emily felt like if she told him, she had a chance of jinxing the whole situation. It already felt too good to be true, she didn't want anyone else to watch her when it inevitably blew up in her face.

"Did you guys finally kiss?" Derek said, a realization dawning on him as he asked.

"Shut up," Emily gritted out, pointedly staring out the window.

"That's not a no," he said, "You totally kissed!"

Emily's face split into a smile, despite herself.

"Oh my god, Princess," he smiled at her, "You've got game."

"She was scared of heights," Emily began, not quite sure how to explain what had happened. "On the Ferris wheel. I held her and and then-"

"And you comforted her," he finished for her, "What a player!"

Emily blushed, thinking back to that moment at the very top of the Ferris wheel. She had taken JJ in her arms and kissed her, it was like an impulse, she couldn't explain it. She had surprised herself. It had also been absolutely perfect.