Ch 7

(We are gonna skip Iron Man 2 because I hate writing that movie)

2012, Alina's POV:

"Does Fury have you pissed or is it just me?" I sighed, sitting down next to Clint. Natasha was still on her mission and had been for weeks. No calls, no texts, no mail was allowed to be passed between the two of us. Now I had just learned that I'd be going on my own mission tomorrow, the day she was supposed to come back if everything went to plan. Meaning I wouldn't be able to see her for another few months and I'd have to leave in a few hours.

He laughed, grip on his bow loosening, "No, I'm pretty sure it's always just you." I rolled my eyes at his words, knowing very well that they were true.

"Whatever you say birdbrain." I muttered, leaning against him and resting my head on his shoulder. We'd become best friends just like he and Natasha had.

He chuckled once more, "It's such a shame you can't join me and Nat back at the ranch." He replied sarcastically. My hand moved up to pat him back a few times.

"Don't worry Merida, I'll find a way." I smirked. "Agent Belkov (I couldn't find Madame B.'s last name), what the hell are you doing?" I heard Fury shout in my ear, making me cringe. I had forgotten about the little device in my ear.

"Sorry Fury, I'll be leaving now." I responded back to the old man. Now turning to Clint I got up swiftly, "Take care, I'll see you in a month or two." I wave, skipping away to help other people evacuate before I needed to leave which would be in a few short hours.

I ran up to an old friend James outside and helped him get the huge amount of supplies he was hauling to a helicopter that was getting ready to take off. The wind blew my now short boy like cut hair all over the place as I ran around lifting heavy boxes onto different transportation devices. It was exhilarating, and the fact that the structure below me could explode any second made it even more exciting.

However soon my excitement came to an end because everything was loaded and we were all instructed to find a vehicle to hitch a ride in. I hopped into the nearest helicopter, getting it ready for Fury, knowing he always needed an escape plan. Soon enough he came barreling out of the building and jumped in, giving me just enough time to fly up and avoid being blown to bits.

"Follow Barton." I heard him gasp, obeying at once and chasing down my friend who was accompanied by a few other agents and a new guy I hadn't seen before. I heard shots being fired and looked back to see Fury shooting at them.

"Woah, what are you doing?" I ask worriedly. He continued firing, shouting through the bangs.

"I'm not going to kill him." All of a sudden a blue light hits the plane causing the windows in front of me to break and the plane to catch fire. Next thing I know I was thrown into a pole and heard a crack over the groans of the burning plane and gun shots. "Alina!"

I could hear my name being called just barely over the ringing in my ears. Opening my eyes I saw Fury pulling me out of the wreckage, dragging me as far away from the fire as possible. "Thanks." I coughed, weakly getting to my feet once he stopped. His arm wrapped around my waist, supporting me since I was wobbling quite a bit. "What was that?"

He looked down, "Barton's been compromised."

———

I walk into the abandoned Brooklyn gym finding Steve Rogers letting his frustration out on some punching bags. "Trouble sleeping?"

Steve continued punching the bag. "I slept for seventy years, miss. I think I've had my fill." I knew he hated me, a lot of people did, plus I was the first person he saw when he woke up. I may or may not have tackled him in the streets that day.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Steve stopped punching, unraveling the tape from his bloodied hands as he walked towards a bench.

He let out a soft exhale, "When I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't saw what we lost."

"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently." Internally I cringed, it didn't sound like me at all. Because it wasn't. Fury gave me a list of scenarios and answers to get the point he wanted across. I guess he was too lazy to come and do it himself.

Steve raised a brow, turning to face me. "You here with a mission, miss?"

"Indeed, I am."

"Trying to get me back into the world." He seemed tired, tired of fighting. I knew he was, he hated war, the blood, the death, the destruction. It said so in most of the files we have on him.

"Trying to save it." I handed Steve a file on the Tesseract, along with a few others on Hydra's secret projects. Most of them I had helped to start.

Steve glanced at the pages in front of him, "Hydra's secret weapon."

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought we what we think, the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs..." I started to explain while he inspected the files.

Steve glance up, "Who took it from you?"

"He's called Loki. He's not from around her. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to seeps on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." Ugh I sounded like a robot.

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me." He admitted, walking around me to pick up a punching bag.

"Ten bucks say you're wrong." I smirked, following him with my eyes. "There's a debriefing package waiting for you back at your apartment. Is there anything else you can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?" I called out watching him walk away.

"You should have left it in the ocean."