Romance 101

Draco was still wondering why he gave that rose to Ginny when he returned to Charlene's side. For the rest of the night, he was lost in his own thoughts, simply nodding yes or no to whatever Charlene was saying.

He kept thinking of Ginny. She was so different from all the girls he usually dated that he just didn't know what to expect. Charlene, on the other hand, was predictable. She was ambitious, smart, and utterly gorgeous, like Blaise had said to him earlier that night, the perfect trophy wife. But did he want a trophy wife?

He hadn't even told Charlene of his mother's illness. It just didn't fit with all of the things they usually talked about. He didn't feel comfortable telling her. Yet he had told Ginny within the first hour. It was so she could help me find a wife, he told himself, but he had trouble believing it now.

And why did he feel so different around Ginny? At times, it felt wonderful just to be around her, other times, awkward, like he had to learn how to breathe again.

He was contemplating that thought when Charlene dragged him over to the dance floor again. He didn't even know why she wanted to dance, she didn't like it much. As they danced, Draco's thoughts drifted to the night in the club. He remembered how Ginny had felt in his arms, so different from Charlene. Ginny felt real, so much more real. She had danced like she knew where he was going to step next and what he wanted to do. Like she had read his mind. It was like she danced with all she had.

Why am I thinking about it? What does it mean?

Memories swept over him, a conversation he had with Blaise at Hogwarts, after Blaise had been cheated on by a girl he truly had feelings for.

"I just thought she was the one." Blaise was saying.

"Well, she wasn't." Draco said curtly. He didn't have time for lovesick boys. "Just get over her. Ask out another girl." He sneered and his lip curled.

He half expected Blaise to be angry, or at least throw something at him. Instead, Blaise threw him a pitying glance that Draco couldn't interpret. "You know, Draco. I feel sorry for you."

Draco's eyebrows rose. "Why? Because I'm not going to moan over some girl that's already forgotten my name?"

"No, because you've never been in love."

"Like I need it."

"You'll know when you're falling for someone. It's wonderful." Blaise's voice turned wistful. "Like really falling, only there's someone to catch you. There's confusion and uncertainty at first, but it passes, and then it's really something. You know what, it's indescribable."

Draco smirked. "Boy, you're really whipped. Not even married and you're talking like you are."

Blaise shrugged, half in earnest, half in embarrassment. "What can you say, I'm a hopeless romantic." He laughed and threw a pillow at Draco.

Was he falling for Ginny? That's impossible, he scoffed inwardly, I'm looking for a nice woman to marry so I can have lots of little blonde haired children for my mother.

Over Charlene's shoulder, he saw Ginny. She was arguing with another red-haired person, Bob, or whatever Fleur's husband was called. He looked down at the blonde he was holding. Charlene noticed his gaze and smiled up at him.

So was he?

Charlene was good. She would make a good wife. But who wanted good when they could have great?

His eyes went to Ginny again and caught hers.

Ginny couldn't move from the spot Draco left her for a long time. Memories ran through her head so fast she couldn't think of anything else.