Chapter 3 - The Call

Start from the beginning

    Blythe scrunched up her eyebrows, wondering why. "About what?"

"Well..." (Y/N) debated if she should tell her about what Ki said. She didn't know if it'll alarm the redhead or not, but Blythe seemed like a chill kind of woman, so maybe it wouldn't. But just in case, she avoided the thought with a question. "Has there ever been a case where a demon escaped this place? It seems unlikely for it to happen though."

    Blythe thought about it and nodded her head. "It has happened before."

    (Y/N) gasped and turned to Blythe. "Really?!" Blythe nodded again. "I wasn't around when it happen. Back when this place was newly built, there were only ten demons here. One or two managed to get out due to lack of security and Keepers."

    (Y/N) got done with her hair and started putting concealer on her eye bags. "But where would they go when they got out? This place is underground and it'll be easy to spot a demon out of a crowd of humans."

"Well, that is true. But, there's two ways out of this place that I know of. The entrance into the city and the Capturers' way above ground. My guess was they took the Capturers' way since they weren't retrieved afterward. Probably got away."

"Do the demons here know?" (Y/N) worried if any demon here did know of a possible way out, especially her demons. "Nope, the Scientists and Capturers drug them before they escort them in. Especially the ones that can think for themselves like your demons."

    (Y/N) sighed in relief. She'll just have to make sure not to mention any of this to Ki and Akai. She would like to keep her job intact.

    (Y/N) finished getting ready and both ladies headed out to the labs. Since it was early, many of the other Keepers were just arriving as well. Blythe was right about what she said on (Y/N)'s first day, a lot of the female Keepers were way older than them. The rest were all men, most of them in their mid ages. She and Blythe were probably the youngest Keepers in general.

    They entered the labs and walked towards the elevators. On their way there, (Y/N) peaked into the C-class cells on both sides of the lab. These demons were the harmless ones. Most of them were small or lanky. Some had attitudes but wasn't enough to alarm anybody. Since these demons didn't need a Keeper constantly, most of the cells were Keeper-free. Passing by one cell, (Y/N) stopped. Blythe noticed her not by her side and looked into the cell as well.

    Inside was C5, a demon that looked like an average little boy. The demon had pale skin and medium-length dark brown hair that fell just above his eyes. C5's eyes weren't a normal color though, they were very pastel green that shined under the light.

    The Keeper inside was an elderly man who multitasked playing catch with the demon and doing his own work. (Y/N) questioned if the boy even was a demon, he had no signs that he was, no horns or tails or extra limbs. She looked to Blythe questionably. "Is that a demon?"

    Blythe watched the boy play and nodded. "Yep. That's C5, it's a nightmare."

"How come?" The boy looked too innocent as he giggled whenever he caught the ball. He looked up and saw the two ladies watching him, (Y/N) waved at him with a friendly smile. His eyes went reptile-like and a large flap around his neck sprouted outwards, similar to a frilled lizard. The colors of the flap were bright and distracting, it almost looked like two giant menacing eyes that sent chills down both ladies' backs. He giggled and waved back with a clawed hand before resuming his game of catch with his Keeper.

    (Y/N) froze up and stepped away from the glass. "Oh, that's why..."

    Blythe giggled, "Based on what its Keeper told me, it's not really a kid. Just pretending."