Chapter 13

"Promise me you'll stop by on your way back," Evie pleaded with Aiden.

The sun had barely risen and for once there was a chill in the desert air. Rhett and I stood aside as Aiden said goodbye to his mother and sister. I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to keep in some heat, as Aiden hugged Evie and promised, "We'll be back for dinner."

Evie let him go and their mother went up to him. "I hate seeing you go," she told him.

He gave her a small smile and said, "It's just for a little bit this time."

"You say that every time," she replied.

"And it's true. Every time," he pointed out.

She grinned at him and pulled him into a hug. She kissed his cheek then let him go. Once she walked away Aiden came over to where Rhett and I were standing.

"It was nice to see you, Rhett," Aiden told his stepfather.

Rhett took a step forward and hugged Aiden. The two hugged for a few moments then pulled away. "It was nice to see you too kid. I'll see you tonight," he said.

Aiden nodded and put his hand on my lower back. I gulped, the touch making butterflies take flight in my stomach. With a final goodbye, Aiden created a tunnel that connected to a smaller dome and we walked away.

Once we were out and back in our smaller individual dome I said, "I didn't know we were coming back tonight."

"Is that a problem?" He asked with concern.

"No! Of course not. I was just wondering why?" I replied.

He adjusted some of the weight from his bag then admitted, "I'm worried about Evie. She's fourteen and has never had a normal friend. Mother and I planned for her to join society with me at the palace when she was 18, but I think we should make it sooner."

"Evie has never left?" I questioned.

Aiden shook his head and mumbled, "It was too dangerous."

Then we went quiet. Both of us refused to look at each other. I don't know what he was thinking, but all I could think about was that kiss last night. Would he kiss me again? Was it a one-time thing? Did I ruin everything by walking away after he didn't want to go farther?

"So... that kiss last night," he said after a while breaking the silence and my thoughts.

I looked up at him and bit my bottom lip. "Yeah?" I mumbled.

"It was... great," he commented awkwardly.

"Yeah!" I exclaimed, "It was fantastic."

"Yes! It was! Extraordinary even," he agreed with a nod.

We both just looked at each other as we nodded our heads. This is so uncomfortable. The only thing that filled the silence was our footsteps on the yellow sand. Why wasn't he saying anything? Why wasn't I saying anything?

"Oh, look at that! We're here!" Aiden told me, relief and thankfulness clear in his voice.

Why can't you be normal, Ali? Get your crap together.

I forced myself to look at where his gaze was and I couldn't help but snort. "You made it invisible... didn't you?"

"Of course I did," he scoffed.

"How can you even tell where they are?" I wondered.

He smiled and replied, "I'll tell you once we're in there."

I smiled and with a shrug said, "Fine."

A tunnel connected our dome to a much larger one. Taking in a deep breath I followed Aiden into the god's lair.