18 | illicit affairs

Start from the beginning

He locked the boot and we stood there by each other, under the dimmer street lights shining two park spaces behind him. We stood there for a moment, just taking in the both of us.

For people who’d only been away for less than a week, we sure do act like we’ve been away for years.

“This feels a little rebellious now doesn’t it?” He whispered and I laughed, hearing it spread into every direction. He laughed with me with a childlike look in his eyes as though he’d been waiting for this. 

“I think we should go before one of your CNN pals gets to us, don't you think?” I told him with joy filling every void in my voice. He agreed and soon enough we were buckled down and he announced lights out in the car. 

“You should try and get some sleep first. When we get there we have breakfast waiting for us. It’s a straight shot from here on out.” He told me as we drove away into the merely empty city roads. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen it this way. 

“Do you know what time sunrise is?” I asked him and he looked at me in wonder.

“I like seeing the sunrise, is that so bad?” I sarcastically remarked and he shakes his head no.

“I assure you, the sun won’t rise until late eight or even seven. By then, we’d be there and I know a perfect place to watch the sunrise. But in the meantime, get some sleep.” He continued to urge me on and I narrowed my eyes on him.

“Promise you won’t take me in the middle of the woods and kill me?” 

He turned to me in amusement.

“No promises. You’re the one who got into my car.” He joked.

I shift in my seat with a smile on my face as I lean my head against the window.

“Mhmm, I’ll die happy then so,” I murmured knowing that at this moment; this very moment that statement is true. 

He stayed silent and I stayed observant. 

Looking out into the sleeping city, I found myself intrigued by the night life—or the lack thereof. I've gotten so used to seeing cars upon cars staggering every minute that seeing an empty road in early ours seems incandescently haunting. I suppose it makes for a great lil. Though, just as I had closed my eyes, I heard a click followed by a vinyl crackle that soon introduced the soothing voice of Frank Sinatra.

***

Instinctively noticing the car's lack of rumble, I flutter my eyes open. Slowly catching the glimpse of the still purple-grey sky. Daniel's seat was empty, into which I jumped up concerned only to see him walking with two cups of coffee in hand and the gas meter just outside my window. He opens his door and the cold breeze flutters right in making my body shiver. He noticed and smiled.

"So sorry, I didn't want you to wake up yet. We still have about half an hour." He says, handing me the warm paper cup that I gladly hugged in between my palms.  

"But you still got me coffee?" I asked him, endeared by the gentle gesture.

"Of course," he says. "I didn't want you to wake up and see only one cup of coffee and feel left out." 

I laughed, nodding at his horrendous humour but took a sip of the warm coffee nonetheless.

Soon enough, the meter had stopped and we were on our way yet again. A different landscape meets the eye. 

What once was a horizon of epic buildings and city lights is now nothing but plain fields or evergreens meeting us by the end. It was as if we were in a different world—but that wouldn't be so bad now would it?