Kabanata 1

DISCLAIMER: Every reader is familiar with the typical fiction disclaimer. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

Nakita

 "Mama!" I cried. Malakas ang sigaw ko ngunit parang walang bisa iyon dahil parang ako'y nauupos na kandila. Nababalot ng abo ang aking katawan, maging ang buong paligid.

The sight of the dead animals abandoned by their owners didn't do anything good to my innocence. How could their owners leave them here to die? And did my parents abandon me here, too?

"Papa! Mama!" I shouted and cried.

Until I lost my voice... until I lost sight of what was ahead... until my body couldn't handle it.

Then, I collapsed.

"Anak? Gumising ka na." I woke up to a knock on my door. Pawis na pawis ang aking katawan, I touched my throat because I felt like I lost my voice.

That dream felt so real. Except that it is real. Hindi na ako ulit dinalaw ng memorya kong iyon sa panaginip, until today. 

"Anak, sabi mo gisingin kita ng alas kwatro? Baka maiwan ka ng mga kasama mo." I heard my mom from outside the door.

"I'm awake, 'ma."

"Bumangon ka na dyan para makakain ka na ng umagahan. Malayo-layo ang byahe at mainit mamayang tanghali." I heard her before she left.

BATANGAS, 2020

I couldn't help but think about the dream again while on the way to Batangas. It's dangerous to go there right now but we were permitted by the government to go. I even insisted on going here despite my parent's objections. I just couldn't leave the poor animals here alone.... 

I was abandoned as a child, too. My parents know where I am coming from here. 

I stared at the poor horse that was almost buried by ash. Maagang lumikas ang mga tao sa isla kaya naiwan dito ang iilang mga hayop. Ang mga malalaking mga alaga kagaya ng kalabaw at kabayo ay hindi na nadala ng mga residente nang sila ay lumikas. Some cats and dogs are stray. 

Our first goal was to provide food, drinks and veterinary care to the abandoned animals. We pleaded with the government and pulled a lot of strings before they allowed us to bring them to an animal evacuation site, which we set up nang bumaba sa Alert Level 3 ang Taal.

"You're spacing out." Ni-hindi ko na pansin na nawala ako sa ulirat nang may humawak sa aking baywang.

Caelus kissed me on my cheek as his way of greeting. I looked at my man looking good in his uniform. His hair was down and messy, mukha rin siyang wala pang tulog.

I immediately hugged him and hid my face on his chest. 

"I'm sorry.." I said while my eyes flew back to the poor animals.

"Why are you sorry, baby? It's so brave of you to come here and save these animals knowing that places like these make you uncomfortable." He kissed my hair.

Caelus has been in Batangas since last week to work and coordinate with the resident volcanologist. Mamaya ay sasabay na rin siya sa akin pauwi so he can report back to their headquarters tomorrow.

It is true that I would not go here if it wasn't for the animals. The ashes triggered my childhood memories. My parents found my almost-lifeless body after the eruption of Mt. Mayon in 1999. I was five.