𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐗

Start from the beginning

"Morning," Lucy beams, "I'm happy to be having this meeting with you all. Our team is just so impressed with the show you've been putting on. It's clear you've got some real talent."

The words cause even more confusion. If the label and management is pleased with them, then why does Monica look so perturbed? It's clear Billie is not the only member of the band to notice the stark contrast between the two women, as they give quick confused glances to each other.

"It's been an amazing experience," Callie offers almost immediately in response, "We've never played for such a large crowd. It's crazy to see how well the fans are reacting to our music."

"That's exactly why we wanted to chat," Lucy begins before motioning to Monica, who is still sifting through her papers in an attempt to keep her demeanor cool. No one, except those who really knew her, would be able to tell the slight change in attitude. "I'll let your manager explain."

With one swoop, the blonde places a thick stack of papers in the middle of the table for the girls to peer over at. In large font at the top, the paper states 'RECORDING CONTRACT.'

"Mad Sounds is offering you a deal to sign with them," she states matter of factly, "You don't have to sign now."

"Right," Lucy agrees, "We want to give you until the end of the tour to decide. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the stipulations and benefits. However, I want to preface by saying there is a signing bonus for a guarantee of four exclusive albums. This, of course, will begin after Grand Motel's next album and tour."

"What?" Sloane blurts, "What do you mean Grand Motel's next album and tour? What does that have to do with us?"

"We'd like to sign you conditional on the agreement to open for their next tour. You girls are giving them great press, and it's clear your fans have some serious overlap. We're still working to rebuild Grand Motel's image, and part of that means having you on board for their next tour."

"I thought the boys were taking a break after this to finish up their next album," Callie replies with furrowed brows, and it's clear that Jude has outlined his plans to her.

"There's been a change of plans recently. They'll start recording during the downtime they have on this tour," she clarifies, "Things have been much easier to manage with them all together like this."

Billie knows immediately why it's easier this way. Once this tour is complete, Ezra would likely disappear off the face of the earth. It's easier to control him now and produce an album than hope he's sober enough to do it later.

"I still don't see why we can't release our own music while they do the next tour," Billie questions, still attempting to fit the pieces together.

"Your fans have overlap," Monica replies matter of factly, "Labels don't like creating unnecessary competition between their artists. Frankly, your numbers are better than Grand Motel's right now. You're building a following that might overshadow them."

Lucy's peppy features somewhat falter. It's almost as if Monica has said something that she shouldn't have, though it's clearly true.

"We just want to give Grand Motel time to rebuild, and we think this next tour might continue building your fan base while securing theirs."

"This is so typical," Daria mutters, which practically everyone in the room catches.

"I don't think you understand what Mad Sounds is offering you," Lucy replies with a patience that is running somewhat thin, "You'll be the hottest girl band on the charts."

"But we want to be the hottest band, period," Billie clarifies with her arms crossed over her chest, "We know you have other artists, but we need a record label that isn't going to stunt our potential so you can do damage control for your burdensome clients."

That comment makes Monica slightly smile and makes Lucy outright frown. "To be clear, there are going to be few labels, if any at all, that will give you the kind of offer we do." The woman begins gathering her things and moves to stand up from the desk. "Talk it over. We're giving you until the end of this tour to decide."

"We'll be in touch." Monica nods in Lucy's direction before finally giving her full attention to the girls once they're alone.

"What the fuck kind of offer is that?" Daria scoffs, to which Sloane nods in agreement. Billie and Callie, however, remain dumbfounded over what has just unfolded.

"Seriously, does anyone else think it's insane that they're trying to delay us from debuting an album just to save Grand Motel's ass?" Sloane scoffs before moving to kick her feet up on the table.

"The offer, unfortunately, is very good," Monica states, "although it's clear they're trying to sweeten the pot so that you'll have to say yes."

"We're not saying yes, though," Billie assures with a laugh. It's actually comical to think that they'd ever stunt their growth for some washed up band, even if they were their so called friends.

Of course, that term doesn't extend to Ezra. Hell, she doesn't know what he is to her. Part of her begins to wonder if he's behind all of this. Perhaps all of Grand Motel knows about the offer. That thought nearly enrages her.

"I think we should consider it," Callie offers timidly, "She was right about us having trouble signing. Our current label just funds bands first EP's and they even told us that synth pop and girl bands aren't popular amongst the big names."

"They're giving you plenty of time to assess your options," Monica assures before typing on her phone. The woman simply never stops working, not even in a meeting as serious as this. "Though, you won't find the kind of perks they've outlined in the contract anywhere else."

"It's basically like buying our silence," Daria scoffs, "We don't need them."

"We should have our own label," Sloane blurts out, and the words even surprise her. For a moment, the girls are silent as they begin to think about the insane but inviting proposal.

"We simply don't have that kind of money," Monica admits, though her tone seems somewhat disappointed. Frankly, Sloane and her never got along or agreed on anything. Yet, this idea is different. The fact that their manager is even considering it means that it could work.

"We could find the money," Daria interjects, "I've networked enough in the past that I know there are a bunch of rich assholes dying to invest in something like this."

"Could you imagine?" Callie muses with an excited grin, "We wouldn't have to answer to any stupid label or deal with rowdy rockstars anymore."

"You sure you don't like our current situation?" Sloane teases, "I thought you'd sign right here and now if it meant you got to spend another tour with Jude."

Callie frowns as the statement, attention turning towards her hands resting in her lap. "I was just saying it would be nice to be our own boss."

"She's right," Billie mediates, "The only person who has had our back is Monica. Labels have been trying to snuff out our style and sound from the beginning. I don't want to sign with someone who wants us as an option for damage control."

"I think Mad Sounds is a safe choice," Monica admits, "If you sign with them, your career will skyrocket. Doing your own thing is a serious risk that many artists rarely benefit from." She sucks in a breath, carefully weighing her next words. "That's why I think you should keep them in your back pocket while we see if this independent label venture pans out."

"I think we should try," Sloane replies before reaching her hands to grab Billie and Callie's on each of her sides. Callie, in turn, reaches for Daria's hand. The four girls all look at each other nervously, but the smiles on their faces are hopeful.

All of them nod in agreement. If all else failed, they'd sign with Mad Sounds. Yet, the thought of sharing another tour and stage with Ezra is enough to make her stomach twist in knots for an entirely different reason.