It Must Suck to be Y/N

Start from the beginning

"I'm joking", he giggled, "I usually sit here because it's not crowded with people who don't even want to be here... i'm guessing you're doing the same thing".

"Uh yeah", you admired his facial features as you grabbed the remainder of your things from your bag, "Is it usually this loud?".

"They're all rich and hot, parents adore them, it pretty much gets them away with doing anything really", you both giggled at his comment, "Toby", he said reaching his hand to shake yours.

"Y/N", you grasped his in a desperate plea to be friendly.

The professor walked in, a man, tall and around the age of 40. He got on with the lecture at an instant, luckily this class was doing the same as your old class so you were able to get straight to work. Typing away on your keyboard in hopes of getting your mind off the past few days. All you could think about was Sebastian, how he would give you the most loving of smiles when he saw you in your element. He adored your love for English.

As the lecture went on you constantly noticed Toby admiring you from the corner of your eye, looking over you connected eye contact. It wasn't awkward but comforting.

"I'm sorry for staring... I couldn't help but compliment your rings. Where did you get them from?", he mumbled, something you didn't expect him to say.

"Oh thank you, uh I got them from a bunch of thrift stores, i'm not one for designer", you let out a nervous giggle at the thought of your guilty pleasure, Sebastian always bought you expensive jewellery yet you weren't wearing it today.

-

1pm, your day was officially over

1pm, your day was officially over. You headed back to your dorm to grab a few things then taking the subway deeper into the city. After a little bit of a journey you finally reached your favourite coffee shop, just like Suzy had recommended you do, to be honest the minute you stepped inside it felt like home. Going to the counter you ordered your regular, greeted by the best of baristas. She had seen you in there a few times and noticed you hadn't been in a while, you had a little chat with her and then went to go find a table.

Of course you sat at your favourite table, the one by the fireplace at the back, grabbing a book from one of the many bookshelves and curling up with your coffee. The window next to you showed an alley at the back of the bookstore, but instead of ruining your experience it made it even cosier. Snow coating every exposed surface and icicles hanging from the fire escapes. Any other time of year it would look a mess, but winter made it a complete different atmosphere.

You spent a few hours in the quietness of your little reading nook, one of your favourite books, 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus'. Cliché of course, but after what had happened the past couple days, it seemed fitting. After your first coffee, you had another and then switched to hot chocolate. Oh how the marshmallows would melt into the warmth and the whipped cream would swirl into the suds of chocolate.

Once you finished your third drink, you decided to call it a day, 6pm and you began to pack up your things. Preparing to embrace the cold. It was a little to dark to get the subway and you didn't trust taxis, so you ordered an Uber, expecting for it to show up around 6:15pm.

Walking through the bookshelves you heard a familiar voice, walking a little faster toward the entrance to see if it could be true. As you reached the front of the shop you were face to face with the person the voice belonged too. Your eyes began to fill when you realised who was standing in front of you.

"Sebastian?", you questioned.

He looked into your eyes to see your emotion, it broke him, he couldn't do this. Not right now.

"Y/N... i'm sorry I- I didn't know you would be here", he hesitated, trying to leave.

You grabbed his hand, squeezing it tight to remind him of who he was talking to. You weren't a stranger, you were still his girlfriend. At least you thought you were.

"Hey... please? Can we just talk?", you sniffled, holding back a flood of tears.

He pulled his hand away, prompting a tear to escape the corner of your eye.

"I'm sorry Y/N, I can't talk to you anymore...", he said feeling his own heart split into two, "I can't be with you. This can't happen. I'm sorry, goodbye".

He panicked, rushing out of the bookstore, not even taking his order. In that moment it hit you deep. The flood gates opened, tears falling down your face, you felt hopeless and abandoned. The encounter was short but painful. It really was truly over.

Your parents won.

-

A/N: God this was emotional to write, holding back the tears myself ahahahaha! I bet you all are too, sorry not sorry lol. Also wow another day in a row writing, i'm questioning my own existence.