2. ellie, david, and i.

I woke up with my mind in a fog. I was slowly grasping at consciousness when I hear voices. Turning towards the source, my shifting notified the pair that I was awake. David walks in on his own with a sympathetic smile on his face.

"I told you I didn't want to hurt you." He reminded me. I stayed silent as I stared daggers at him through the metal cage I was in. He walked to the bars and crouched down to my eye level. "What's your name, kid?"

"What are you going to do to me?" I asked as confidently as I could. David studied my form and shook his head, walking away. I finally had a chance to take in my surroundings. Human remains were scattered across a long wooden table. My stomach twisted at the sight as my eyes widened in shock.

"Y/N." I said after a long silence. David turned around from whatever he was doing at the table. His brown eyes held an off putting amount of excitement in them. I stood up, meeting him a few steps from the cage door.

"That's a beautiful name." David complimented. I offered a weak smile, hoping to gain a little trust before trying to find a way out of here.

"Y/N, you're here because our community could use you."

"The same way you used them?" I nodded toward the severed arms and legs that dripped blood. He looked back to the table, then back at me.

"You really don't trust easily, huh?" He rhetorically asked. I shook my head.

"Well, I'm not planning on harming you in anyway, Y/N. Unless you give me a damn good reason to, but I really hope it doesn't come to that. It doesn't have to. Right, sweetheart?"

"No, it doesn't." I said, shaking my head. "I've just- I've been alone for some time." I whispered. The memories of losing my best friend flooding my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment and looked back up at David.

If there's one thing I've learned how to master, it's fake it until you make it.

It's rule number one of getting into people's heads. The impression that you want to give off is completely up to you. But, should you choose the wrong one with the wrong person, you might end up suffering the consequences. Reading your target's behaviour is key into finding which role you need to play. Adapting to every single person you come across, manipulating them into believing in a version of yourself, it's a damn process. But, when done flawlessly, the results are anything you want them to be.

I let a tear roll down my cheek. Although I really was feeling sad, it played into the vulnerable act fairly well. I watched as David's expression softened.

"I'm sorry for whatever bad you've gone through, Y/N. But here, I can protect you. I promise, I'll keep you safe."

"Why me, David? Because you found me with a dead rabbit?"

"You're special." David stated. I stared at him, processing the conversation. Suddenly, he walks away and out of the room. Leaving me with a million questions. The most important one? How the hell do I get out of here?
...
They left me here alone for what felt like hours. 'Okay, Y/N. Just chill and think about a way out.' I kept telling myself. Suddenly, the door swings open and David is carrying a girl who looks about my age. James unlocked the cell and David gently placed her on the ground beside me. He closes the cell.

"I'll get the two of you some food." David smiled.

"Thank you, David."

James drug a dead body into the room. The man looked like he had his head beat in. James lifted him on to the table and started to undress him. The girl beside me started to stir. Her brown hair was tied into a ponytail. Her pale skin, speckled with freckles that complimented her green eyes. She looked at me and furrowed her eyebrows. Suddenly, James cuts the man's leg and it falls to the ground, catching both of our attention.