Halloween Traditions

Halloween is a loved holiday (rather, tradition) of all

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Halloween is a loved holiday (rather, tradition) of all. Especially kids (and teens) who always wear costumes and dress as their favorite characters such as; Disney princesses, witches, wizards and so on... But what is the truth behind all these? The bizarre reason Halloween was celebrated? Let's find out!

Halloween is celebrated during the 31st of October. The said tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which is actually also celebrated during October 31st. What is Celtic festival?

This tradition is made to welcome in the harvest and usher in "the dark half of the year" creepy right? Let's dig deeper.

The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago, mostly in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. (which is also all saints day.) While some believed that the dead returned to earth on Samhain.

We're getting a lot of spooky candies on Halloween aren't we?

Next! We have trick or treating, yes, boys and girls. Trick-or-treats is also one of our main topics.

Now, let's get going, shall we?

It's believed that trick or treating evolved from a ritual where people dressed as ghosts and demons, performed dances around a bonfire and received treats to appease the evil spirits. This practice, known as mumming, dates back to the Middle Ages.

So basically, in short terms; trick-or-treating is believed (or theorized) that it is a way of mumming.

But how? "These involve dressing in costume and singing a rhyme, doing a card trick, or telling a story in exchange for a sweet"

The texts I just emphasized may be connected (I repeat maybe) as in ancient times chants (or spells) might be needed in mummification. This may represent the "singing a rhyme" as chants sometimes do rhyme.

Here's a little research.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Now we've got that all the way, let's find out the reason why we eat or give candies for Halloween.

Samhain was a time to celebrate the last harvest of the year and the approach of the winter season. It was also a festival for honoring the dead. One way Celtics may have appeased the spirits they believed still walked the Earth was by leaving treats on their doorsteps.

Samhain's festival was also to honor the dead. Not just an ordinary one (as we may or may not know.)

Here's our research number 2:

One way Celtics may have appeased the spirits they believed still walked the Earth was by leaving treats on their doorsteps.

So up above as you may read: "One way Celtics may have appeased the spirits they believed still walked the Earth was by leaving treats on their doorsteps."

In one belief, it was just by leaving treats on their doorsteps.

Is it possible that the people who go trick-or-treating symbolize the spirits? That remains a mystery for now...

Lastly, to end this article right here we'll leave some Halloween facts and riddles.

Our Top-5 fun-facts of the day:

1.) Candy corn was originally called Chicken Feed.

2.) Halloween folklore is full of fortune-telling and magic.

3.) "Halloween" comes from All Hallows' Eve and means "hallowed evening."

4.) The most lit jack o'lanterns on display is 30,581.

5.) Trick-or-treating comes from "souling"

) Trick-or-treating comes from "souling"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.