onism

sighing, you straightened out the crinkled book page. god, these passages were not taken care of well, even though they were very important to not just monster history, but monsters themselves.

"charlie?"

your eyes paused from the text, staring over to where your name had been beckoned. eyes turning happy at your friends presence, god, at least a breath of fresh air had arrived.

"hey, vee. what are you doing here?"

she shifted, a small frown on her face; it seemed at your appearance. eyes glancing to the mug placed on the table that had been filled with coffee seemingly moments ago that was now dangerously low.

"have you even taken a break since the humans accepted you as a researcher?" she placed her hands on her hips, stern but concern masking her face.

you pondered, propping your index finger under your chin before gesturing with your hand out to the side, a small shrug. "nope! i'm looking for some insight on how monsters culminate. their magic is very unique, yet their souls all look almost the same.. besides very few colored and boss monster souls."

she blinked. "in simpler terms?"

you pressed your index and middle finger to your temple, emitting a sigh. "basically, every monster soul is the same. besides very few who have souls similar to ours, and bigger souls." god, explaining was one of the worst things ever. but you supposed you should use less nerdy words and maybe you wouldn't have to.

"that makes sense. well.. i'll leave you to it. just rest some here and there, okay?" she turned back to exit the doorway, still hesitant and as awaiting a response.

"of course, vee." you smiled softly, turning back to your work. after all, if couldn't be that difficult.

not that you disliked vee, but she seemed to poorly time things. but she was also right, this passage searching was not working at all. it seemed only human history books were organized in such a manner you understood.

wait..

wouldn't it just be better to ask another researcher of said culmination process? specifically, a monster one would work best. since they should know their history better than humans do.

your eyes sparkled at the sudden idea, closing your book and drinking the last bit of coffee out of your mug before turning it in at the counter. you pushed your chair in and grabbed your coat, throwing it over yourself quickly as you left for the city.

after all, it couldn't be that hard.

could it?