09: Conflicting Thoughts

Start from the beginning

          “It’s only the formulas that I need to memorize,” she added on. “Math is the easiest subject because it’s straightforward. There is only one answer. 1 is 1 and 4 is 4.”

          Right.

          ‘Cause, that statement coming from the person who had aced the Math Quiz Bee for three consecutive years would make it believable.

          “So, when can I expect you to finish it?”

          “By Friday.” She closed my notebook; then in a confident tone, “Don’t worry, I’ll make it so you’ll receive the highest grade.”      

          Oh, she would alright.

          “You should,” I said flatly. “Because I don’t settle for less.”

          She rested her elbows on the table, placing her hands with the tips of her fingers together.

          “You mean to say, you only want what’s best?”

          “That’s exactly what I mean.”

          Amusement clouded her eyes as she slowly nodded her head.

          “That makes sense.”

          My eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

          “What’s that supposed to mean?”

          “Because you want me.” She threw me a flirty smile while suggestively wiggling her eyebrows.

          That rendered me stunned for a while.

          I want her...?

          The words that I knew should’ve just stayed in my mind were already out of my mouth before I could stop myself.

          “You’re Minjeong, not Ryujin.”

          Her face fell instantaneously.

          A moment of silence emerged between us.

          The air surrounding us grew heavy.

          I swallowed.

          “I-I mean—”

          She lifted herself off the chair and leaned over close to my face with her eyes staring straight into mine.

          “I am the best, Karina.” She basically growled under her breath. “And I’ll make you acknowledge that no matter what it takes me.”

          K-Karina?

          I could only stare through perplexed eyes as she wordlessly grabbed her bag before marching her way out of the library.

          Impatient, just say it
          Still waitin’, for another round
          New faces, I'm racin’
          I’m fine but I’ll never make it home

          I really need to learn how to filter myself every so often.

          This tendency that I had to say the things that was on my mind out loud would surely put me in danger one of these days.

          Sixth street for the occasion
          Can’t take all of the changes
          Blue moon, in different phases
          Blue moon, in different places