Chapter 25. Knights of Cydonia.

Start from the beginning

—Well, no. Not right now at least —I replied, averting my gaze from her eyes for an instant—. I'm the confidant of the head of the family, and she needs me for... emotional support.

—I see, I see —she said, a bit too gleefully—, jump up. I am indeed going downstream, towards the ocean, so I can get there, if you don't mind moving a bit slowly.

—That's fine, I still have some time. How could I pay you for the help?

-—Don't worry about that. I actually appreciate the company, especially on days such as this.

—I can see why —I said as I climbed aboard the tortoise's shell and into the palanquin.

Weirdly enough, it felt more spacious once I had gotten into it. In fact, it gave me the impression of being a one room, wall-less, palace. It even had a small kitchen in one corner, in which coffee was being brewed.

—You can hang your coat over there so that it dries a bit, and have a cup to warm yourself —the lady said as we started our voyage.

—I'm not from around this place, see —she said after a few minutes of awkward silence—, I only came here because a friend needed to move his merchandise, but this weird climate is making using rivers pretty hard, don't you think? Thank the gods, Asimov is so heavy that not even this current can deter him. But even then, I think I have heard of that lady you are going to meet. The heir of the Dragonroot clan, Rosanne, was it? She is quite infamous, isn't she?

—Ah, I suppose...

—Hmmm, what kind of person is she?

—What kind? I'm not sure I can say...

—Hahaha! I would imagine that's the case —she abruptly said.

—Do you know her? —I asked, starting to get suspicious.

She smiled.

—No, I don't think so. Though I might have met her in another life.

—In another life? —I asked, but she didn't seem to have heard me.

I was starting to presume this woman hailed from beyond the Sindhus river. The decoration on her palanquin seemed to fit their style, and the idea of reincarnation was more popular there than in our region. The official stance of the church of Enki and of the minor cults was that souls traveled to the Underworld after death, where they could rest eternally. Only heroes of great deeds were allowed to traverse the land in a new body. In any case, if my suspicions were true, I would be very impressed by the domain of the lady over our language.

We kept chit chatting over nothing important during the rest of our journey, she was easy to talk to despite me never being much of a talker. Perhaps because she was someone who I didn't know and probably will never see again, I might have said too much. I mentioned the curse of calliope, and the results of my research until that point. Well, in very broad terms anyways. And I made sure to keep Rosanne's involvement and the existence of the Astral Observatory as a secret. I proposed it as a prediction made with medical data.

—Oh my, that sounds awful. And you only have a year to prevent it? —she said.

I was a bit taken back by how she seemed to just accept it.

—More or less.

She looked sad and troubled, but in just a moment, she drew a warm smile on her face.

—Do not lose hope, Sonny. I'm pretty sure she will be able to find a solution.

—Who? —I asked, genuinely confused— Rosanne?

She nodded. I was even more confused.

—What would make you think so?

—Well, she is a Dragonroot, the descendant of Lilith herself —the lady said with a grin—, though I can't say I'm much of a believer in those myths. Call it a hunch, or maybe the universe is speaking through me. Or it might be that I think you already believe she can, otherwise you wouldn't be going to visit her in the middle of this storm. In any case, as long as she has someone like you supporting her, I think everything will be alright.

—Someone like me? —I asked, but the lady pointed my attention away with her finger.

—We have arrived.

She guided her tortoise towards the pier, and I got off after I had put on my coat. The rain has become more like a mist at that point, making seeing where I should stand a bit difficult.

—That was quite an enjoyable trip, Sonny. I hope you have success in your endeavours, and may our paths cross again.

—May the gods guide you —I said, but with my attention centered on not accidentally stepping out of the pier and into the river.

It was not until I reached the shore that I could relax, and finally realize that I hadn't asked the lady for her name. She was gone by that time, and I only saw myself surrounded by the rain, which was once again regaining strength.

I really hoped that I would meet that lady again, I needed to repay her for the favor. And for some reason I felt she and Rosanne would get along, maybe I could introduce them to each other. No, on a second thought, that's a bit of a scary idea.

I made my way into the house through the backdoor. The attendants who were already working on making the breakfast, just greeted me and put another plate on the table like it was the most natural thing to do. I went to the study, and found Rosanne in a very peculiar position, she was still sitting on her chair, but her back was lying parallel to the ground. Violett was sitting on her stomach, and the maids seemed confused as to how to proceed.

—What are you even attempting to do? —I asked.

—N-nothing... —she said, turning around and getting up with the help of her attendants—, did you find the information about the curse of calliope?

—I did, but it is pretty vague. I'll tell you during the trip.

—Trip? Where are we going?

She cowered a bit when I glared at her. It took her far too long to remember that was the date set for our visit to the Black Tower.

—IT IS TODAY??!!