XXVI. GIRL TALK

Depuis le début

"Let's go, Aves" Kiara called out, already walking away. The blonde snapped out of her daze and awkwardly waved at the boys, scooting out the back and shutting the door behind her.

Following Kiara towards the security, Avery took a deep breath and forced a smile, fluffing her blonde waves over her shoulders. The curly haired girl called out and waved her arm above her head, catching the attention of the man. They waited by the wired gate, watching him emerge from his station and wonder over to them.

"Can I help you?" He asked.

"Hi! Um, we actually have a flat tire. I was wondering if maybe you could help us out?" Kiara put on a sweet voice, the smile never leaving her lips. Avery battered her eyelashes as he looked over at her, hesitating for a second before agreeing to help them.

"This is too easy" Avery mumbled, sharing a look with Kiara.

In the distance, the trio crouched behind a plank, observing Avery and Kiara as they waited for their sign. Not being able to help himself, JJ brought up the girl talk again. Immediately cussing at himself, remembering the bet he had with Avery, loosing a kiss and knowing he now had to buy her new wax instead.

"So, like, Kie, she, like definitely gave you the Heisman?" He spoke quietly, his eyes glued onto the blonde ahead of them. She was awkwardly walking towards the other car, sticking close to Kiara.

"Oh, no question. Yep" John B nodded his head slightly, unimpressed by the conversation about his rejection. He turned his head, "how's it going with Avery?"

"What?" Pope almost laughed, snorting instead, and looked over at the bashful blond.

"I don't know what you mean" He shrugged and avoided their gazes.

"Just admit you like her already" John B smirked, following his friends eye-line to unsurprisingly settle on the girl in question.

"I thought we all knew this already?" Pope dumbfounded, generally confused. He always just assumed everyone knew that there was thing between JJ and Avery.

"It's not that obvious" The blond scoffed. Before his friends could continue poking him about his crush, Avery tapped her hip, giving them the signal to move.

Unable to stand in silence while the security guard fixed the purposefully flat tire, Avery stormed up a random conversation with Kiara, who almost didn't catch on. It was strange for them both. They hadn't been left alone, just the two of them, since Avery returned. If she was being totally honest, Avery had no idea how Kiara felt towards her. Sometimes she was cold, but other times she wasn't, acting seemingly okay with her.

Suddenly, the guard dog started to bark. Avery silently cursed and thought about what the boys could have possibly gotten themselves into. The man frowned and peered around, pausing in what he was going to listen closer.

"Do you hear that?" He stumbled to his feet and looked into the distance, facing where the noise was coming from.

"Hear what?" Kiara played dumb, shooting a wide eyed look at Avery.

"Oh, Tebow's got something" He said.

"It's probably just a raccoon, or something. You know?" Avery blew out a breath, forcing out a chuckle as she played with the ends of her hair. "I don't think it's anything to worry about"

That was enough to convince him. Once he crouched back down to finish pumping up the tire, Kiara slipped past Avery, fumbling with her hair clip. Before she knew it, the man had stood up and walked around the vehicle, catching them.

Avery huffed as she watched the guard run off, hearing Kiara calling after him. She twirled around and jumped into drivers seat, yelping a little as her friend opened the passengers side.

"Shit!" Avery cursed out loud, palming the steering wheel. "I can't drive stick"

AUTHORS NOTE!not being able to drive stick: avery 🤝 sarah

AUTHORS NOTE!
not being able to drive stick: avery 🤝 sarah. might get them to bond over the lack of driving skills. but previously on kavery!! i kinda love this chapter?
sorry for the delayed update! life has been a little busy and i'm preoccupied with a load of things at the moment. so if the updates go slack, just know that i'm still here and writing, might take longer :)