Chapter 12

PERCY POV:

We did it. I still can't believe it. On all of my other quests, we had help from the gods. This quest, we were literally beyond their help. Even if the gods wanted to, they couldn't even reach us. We got the Legion's standard back, along with a huge load of Imperial Golden weapons. Nico and Caleb still haven't managed to get that stupid smile off of their faces. We stood in front of Reyna and Jason in the Senate House. The praetor's eyes shone with pride. The place was practically booming with the cheers of the rest of camp.

Jason stepped down from the raised dais. "These three demigods have proved themselves loyal to the cause of Rome, have they not?"

An even louder cheer greeted his statement.

"For retrieving the Legion's standard and the lost weapons, we hereby, give you a place within the Twelfth Legion!"

The hall erupted as people shouted and stamped their feet.

Jason smiled at me. "Percy Jackson, Son of Neptune. Step forward."

I did as I was told. Octavian put down his knife, and took my forearm and passed his hand over it. A searing pain erupted and as Octavian's hand completely let go, I saw a brand. A Trident, SPQR, and a stripe. Octavian just sneered at me as I backed up, rubbing at the brands. Then Nico was called up. Then Caleb. When all was done, they both just stared at their brands in awe. I had found my second home. Nico had found a place where he was respected, not feared. Caleb, he found the family that he never knew he had.

Jason and Reyna smiled at the three of us. "Welcome to the Fifth Cohort. Welcome to the Twelfth Legion."

And above all the cheering and wooping, we could hear the shouts and monkey calls of one particular legionnaire that keeps on getting smacked by his sister.

"OW! Geez, Sis! Chill! Have a little fun!" Ryan shouted.

Carol just laughed in amusement. (1)

Yep. Life was good.

MALCOLM POV:

I was screwed. So completely screwed. We found Percy and didn't bring him back. We found the hoard. Yet again, we didn't bring it back. Well, the second wasn't strictly true, we brought back some, but Annabeth knew it was supposed to be bigger than that. So all in all, we were so very, very screwed. We walked into the Big House, where Chiron, Annabeth, and Marcus were waiting. As soon as Annabeth saw us walk in, she exploded.

"What is the meaning of this?! All you bring back is a couple battle axes, spears, and swords?!"

Chiron's tail swished nervously. "Lady Annabeth, I am sure there are explanations for this. Let's hear the campers out."

So we began to recount our story from after the gas station message, to the battle on top of the glacier.

"You saw Percy, but you didn't bring him back?! Why did you not bring him back?!"

"First of all, you haven't answered my question back at the gas station. Second, Percy isn't one to just get up and leave. He had to have a strong reason to. Why did he leave, Annabeth?"

Once again, her eyes blazed with anger. "I am a GODDESS! YOU WILL-"

Sam spoke up. "My Lady, I had a chance to talk to Nico Di Angelo. He said to ask you for the truth."

"The TRUTH is something that I CANNOT give you! I told you so many times!"

Lina gave a snort. "As long as you withhold the truth, we'll withhold our respect."

I could only nod in agreement. Chiron just looked between us , his tail swishing nervously. I just folded my arms and stood up.

"Chiron, if we're done here, we'll be taking our leave."