Chapter 8

PERCY POV:

Nico, Caleb, and I walked along the pier, searching for any sign of the Roman Navy. The pier was full of yachts, fishing boats, and- was that a warship? Anyways, there were so many kinds of boats there it made me wonder what kind of boats the Romans had. We walked to the warship. There was no sign of ownership of Camp Jupiter.

"What are we even looking for?" Caleb asked.

"I don't know." Nico and I replied simultaneously.

We walked away disappointed. We could have used the firepower. But then again, we wouldn't have a single idea of how to use it. Just as we turned around, we saw a ship covered with a purple tarp embroidered with a faded SPQR. Excitedly, we ran over to the ship. As we uncovered it, our excitement died down. It was dirty, the cabin was pretty small, and there was hardly any room on deck.

"No way. That cannot be the mighty Roman Navy. One good wave is all it'll take to capsize this tub." Caleb exclaimed.

Nico shrugged and sighed dejectedly. "Well, have you seen anything else that resembles something belonging to the Romans?"

Caleb just grumbled to himself.

I walked around the boat. It was in mediocre shape. If we crammed ourselves in, it just might work. I could probably make the boat go faster.

I turned and shouted. "Guys, get on. We can make this work. Besides, we got a legion to win over."

"Hold up. Perce can you control the currents indefinitely?" Caleb asked.

I scratched my head, gauging how long I should be able to last. "I should be able to last about five hours. Why?"

"Because five hours is not going to get us to Alaska, with all the monster attacks."

I snorted. "Who says we are going to get attacked?"

Nico laughed. "Percy. We're demigods. Two sons of the Big Three and a child of an Olympian. You can always count on getting attacked. Don't forget that we have needs too. We can't stay on a boat for a couple days without needing food or the bathroom. I don't think that your dad is going to be too happy about us pissing in the ocean."

I grinned sheepishly. "What do think we should do? It's not like you guys can control the water."

Caleb perked up. "Can you talk to sea animals?"

"Err... Yeah. I could always get them to push the boat, but the animals get tired."

Nico snapped his fingers. "We need a motor."

I raised my eyebrows. "And where the hell are we going to get one?"

Nico pointed. Right across the road from the harbor was a sign that read Seth's Scuba Shop.

Caleb and I shrugged. We quickly stowed our stuff in the boat and walked towards the shop. The door dinged as we walked in the door. We looked around. There was just about anything a seafarer would need. Fish hooks, scuba gear, bait, and engines were all part of the inventory.

"Hey there! Welcome to Seth's Scuba Shop! I'm Seth. What can I do for you?" a voice behind us said.

We turned around to find a middle aged man with bright orange hair sticking out of an Angels baseball cap.

Nico spoke up. "We need a reasonably powerful motor. Not an engine that would be used on a fishing trip, we need a long-distance one."

Seth rubbed his chin and looked over at the engines on the walls.

"I don't think that the one you're looking for is on the wall. Come with me. We'll go to the back. I'm pretty sure that the one you need is back in the storage room."