The hug came as unexpected and it took you a few moments to process it. When you were finally going to hug her back, Kuina let go.
That was a little awkward, but you got over it quickly.
The girl took a sit next to you, while handing you one of those two bottles. You both opened them at the same time.

This situation reminded you of that day you skipped classes to drink with Karube, Chota and Arisu. It was a good day and all you did was laugh at their stupid stories. You'd give anything to go back in time at that exact moment. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible, so you had to find out how to leave this place and get back to them.

"So what did you do before this? If you don't mind me asking." you finally tried to get to know Kuina.

"Nothing much. I worked in a boutique with low payment. It was pretty nice there, though. What about you?"

"I was studying to become a detective. My parents hated the idea, they were always controlling and had expectations of me following everything they said."

"I know how that feels. My father always had this idea of me being his perfect son. The thing is that as much as I tried to be, I couldn't."

It took you a minute to realize the true meaning of her words and when you did, admiration was all you could feel when it came to the girl next to you.
You would've never guessed that she was transgender, but it only made you like her even more. She wasn't afraid of showing her true self, once she discovered it.
Little did you know that Kuina barely told people about it. She wasn't ashamed, but she didn't think screaming around about her sexuality will do her any good. She told you, because she liked you and felt like she could trust you.

"Your dad's an asshole, then. I'm sorry he didn't want to see how amazing his daughter is." you told her and she smiled.

"Thank you. Believe it or not, your words really mean a lot to me. Only my mother truly supported me through this. When I finally found out my parents got a divorce, I started looking for my mother. That's how I found out about her bad condition. She's currently in hospital and this was also the reason I quit smoking. Ironic how I can't be there for her, when she needs me the most."

Kuina's words made you understand that your life was pretty good. You kept complaining about little things and it slowly became a habit. You forgot that people were doing way worse than you.
All this new information about Kuina, changed your whole perspective of her. You didn't really want to see her too differently, because of what she's been through and you were sure she didn't want you to, either.

"I'm not really good at comforting people, but you deserve better." you said.

"I didn't expect you to comfort me. I just felt like talking to someone about it." Kuina smiled. "I still really want to know the deal between you and Chishiya"

"There's no deal." it came off as a very bitter response.

"That's a lie. The only thing I know is that you two knew each other in the original world. He doesn't seem to be the type to have friends, not to mention a girlfriend. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I'm really curious and I'll just keep bugging you." you grimaced when she used the word 'girlfriend'.

"Listen, Kuina. I don't know him any better than you do. Yes, we met in the original world, but on the same day you met him. He was an asshole and left me in the middle of nowhere, after everyone else disappeared." you left out the big part of the story, but you thought that Kuina would make a bigger deal out of it than it was.

"There's for sure more to that, but I'll stop asking you. It's clear that you don't want to talk about it and I have my limits of curiosity." she let go of the subject.