Chapter 35

Gwen was as fresh as a rose when she showed up at her king's side for the weekly meeting with the landlords of Camelot. No one suspected that only few days before, they were tangled in each other arms and made love to each other before eventually part.

To this meeting, Queen Elain was present and she couldn't keep her eyes away from Gwen. She'd stare at her long tress, at her unladylike posture, and at how composed she looked. That tiny girl saved her. Not the mighty knights like she was thought to relay on. No. Another girl. Same age as her. She learned how to defend herself, and how to defend others. She never thought a woman was allowed to do that. When she saw the girl at her window, she pushed her because she was her treat to Arthur's heart. However, she witnessed a fire in Arthur's eyes when he talked about her and couldn't help but wonder if someone would ever talk about her with such candor. It was clear she wasn't his first option and that, if Gwen so much had a piece of land to give, she'd be Queen of Camelot in a heartbeat.

The people knew. The knights knew. But no one could do much. The law was the law. Even though Camelot was a very equalitarian system, royalty was the one thing that still had to be respected and preserved.

She didn't miss how the King, when he thought no one was watching, sent a glare to Gwen who never returned it. She was avoiding him on purpose and Elain wished to know why.

"My lord for Lancelot and lady Gwynnever's wedding, all the people in town wished to pay their respect to the couple. And asked if they'd like to join the celebration of Saint Augustine?" Gwen was distracted and she barely nodded. Elain knew why Arthur was intensively staring at Gwen from time to time. Now she discovered they were to be married shortly. What game was that girl playing? Lancelot moved to Gwen side and placed a very risky kiss to her temple. Elain saw the girl froze in her spot. The girl who didn't even wince in front of a terrible Chimaera, started in front of a man.

Arthur battled the need to pull her away from Lancelot touch. He wanted to punch him so much. He couldn't make a scene. Sometimes though, to make a fool out of yourself, all you need is to keep staring at something you'll never have and keep craving it with every fiber of your being even after it has become pointless.

Gwen met them in the square. She was wearing her usual pants and the furred hood over her dark green shirt tucked into the waist of her pants. She didn't even re-did her hair for the occasion yet she looked lovely.

Lancelot offered her hand and she accepted it, he whispered something to her ear and she stopped to glance at him. He invited her for a dance and she let him. She was not smiling just going with it.

Queen Elain was clapping following the rhythm of the song playing, everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves beside Arthur. He wondered what she'll wear when Lancelot would make her his own. What will it be? Will it be a dress of the same color of the sky or something more virginal, like a pinky gown.

He knew what he'd want her to wear if she was to be married to him. A white silky dress with a corset embroidered with pearls and tiny red roses, a dragon on the back, the pendragon emblem worth a thousand words. And then she'll have a fur as only ornament, her hair down and a crown made of her hair braided. She'd be breathtaking, Arthur recognized as he drunk a little from his glass.

"Sire?" Elain sat next to him on the stairs and he had the decency to hide his surprise. "Why so pensive?"

He shrugged and emptied the remain hale. "You know, it's not too late." She attempted but he pretended not to know what she was implying.

"You're going to be miserable, Arthur. If not with me, with everybody else."

"I'm open to any suggestion." He blathered and she placed a palm on his leg.