Chapter 19:: Confidence and Sass

Start from the beginning

“Did I miss something?” I lean back, frowning. “What was I supposed to see?”

“Nothing,” Jesse smirks, “I just said it to irritate you.”

Did he want to be close to you? As soon as the thought enters my head, I shrug it off. Stupid Iced Tea making me crazy again. What did my mom put in that stuff? I should’ve known better than to drink it. I settle for taking my anger out on Jesse, and scowl impishly up at him. “Is your dick so small because you shoved most of it into your personality?” I fire out without thinking. A second later, it registers what I just said, and my eyes widen slightly. It’s rare that I ever show my fiery, crazier side with anyone other than Heather and Adam. I can’t believe that just slipped out!

“I’m impressed,” Jesse claps his hands, chuckling. “But next time, try not to blush after you’ve just said it. It kind of ruins the sassy image.” He winks at me.

I just blush harder.

<><><><><> 

“That’s it, lean your neck on the side of the pool and try and float your legs,” Anne instructs. Jennifer nods, but gasps with effort at the meticulous job, and I’m not surprised. Trying to float that giant cast can’t be easy. Despite it being filled with air it’s still heavy. Slowly I reach my hand under the water and push upwards on Jennifer’s lower back, supporting her as she tries to raise her legs. She glances at me gratefully, and I smile back at her. Gradually her legs lift to the top of the water, and she huffs with the effort of preventing them from sinking. I glance to the other side to see that Jesse is trying out exactly the same exercise with a smug smirk on his face. He seems to be a lot more playful today, and I’m not quite sure why, but he looks so stupid trying out water aerobics.

“What a little lady you are,” I snort, splashing him slightly across his face. His eyes scrunch up and he splutters, legs sinking underwater for a second or two whilst he’s distracted.

“You suck,” He coughs, “So much.”

“Guys,” Anne looks down at us, her eyebrow raised skyward and lips stretched into an amusing smile. “I understand that you might enjoy water aerobics Jesse, but this is your mother’s session. We might need your help for the last five minutes of this session.” Jesse smiles sheepishly up at her, before joining my side and lifting his mom’s upper back slightly. Anne nods, impressed. “Right, Jennifer, that’s great. You can relax now.”

Jennifer visibly exhales in relief, and her legs sink. With Jesse’s aid, she turns around in the water quickly, and supports herself against the side before her feet touch the floor. Anne peers over her cautiously, examining Jennifer’s exhaustion. “I think we’ve pushed you enough for this week’s session,” She frowns, “Time to get you out of the pool, and you can lie down for a little while.”

Jennifer just nods, and Jesse and I take that as our cue. I speedily climb out of the water and onto the side, bending down to support Jennifer’s top half as we twist her onto her back and slide her into a sitting position at the side of the pool. Anne fetches the wheelchair, and with a lot of effort and Jesse’s arm muscles, we manage to sit her in the chair. Her hair is bronze when it’s wet, and I notice the goose bumps rising on her arms at the exposure. I run to fetch her a towel, but I find slightly more than that waiting at the gate.

“Ben?” I question in confusion, as the boy himself saunters through the back gate towards the pool. I clutch the navy towel in my hand, using it to cover up my body a little bit.

“Hey Lois,” Ben greets cheerfully. He doesn’t even glance towards my body, to my relief, instead favoring to wave and holler at the others and make his presence known. I can see Jesse and Jennifer both grin at his arrival, and poor Anne just looks a bit confused. Following Ben, I make my way back to the wheelchair which seems has centered all conversation, and pass Jennifer her towel. Without that piece of fabric, I’m all exposed to the world, and it makes me shiver. I cross my arms across my chest in attempt to cover up a little.