Anger can be your Friend

Começar do início

Rip rolled his eyes. The two men were like children he thought. He was about to call it quits but then saw Samuel and Sebastian arrive.

Mr Dutton had sent them down to the field to retrieve Rip when he realised that the boy was not keeping his word and did not return after the hour was up.

When after ten minutes there was no sign of them returning either Mr Dutton made his own way over to them to see what was keeping them, and there he found Rip taking a break, sitting on the ground with his back against the stable wall, while Samuel standing beside him, was watching his boyfriend digging alongside Paul and Frank.

"What was I supposed to do, father? I just didn't have the heart to spoil his fun," Samuel told his father, with a big grin, explaining to him that his boyfriend had told him that the last time he had a shovel in his hand was when he was playing in the sandbox as a three-year-old in Kindergarten. Rip just grinned and shrugged his shoulders, holding up his hands, gesturing his innocence but utter delight about the progress that had been made since they all had started to help him.

While Frank just growled at his friend, telling him that they were digging a hole deep enough to bury a few hatchets, when Mr Dutton asked them if any of them knew what time it was and if they had all lost their minds.

When he saw John's frown turn into a big smile, Frank added sullenly, "not deep enough that they couldn't be resurrected mind!" but that just earned him another laugh from everyone.

The atmosphere had improved an awful lot since Sebastian had joined them with his two left hands and his sharp wit and extremely high tolerance to being teased. Mr Dutton tried in vain to protest and bring them all back to their senses but in the end surrendered. 

When Jamie found them to share the good news that Molly and Katie were going to visit the ranch soon, in preparation to get his little girl used to overnight stays, Mr Dutton finally decided to join them. They hadn't decided on a date yet but it would be soon, Jamie told them. Getting several more shovels and another wheelbarrow, Mr Dutton in the end made them all join in and told both Jamie and Samuel that they should have known better than 'to come out here in their fancy clothes' when they complaint about getting dirty.

Shortly after one o'clock they almost stopped but then Jacob and Robert got the party restarted when they returned, slightly tipsy from the effect of the alcohol they had consumed and with a few more beers to spare and a soda for Rip, so that the foundation of the arena was finally completely dug out at a quarter to three on that Sunday morning. They all made sure that it was Rip who lifted the last shovel full of soil.

"We need to name it," Jacob suggested.

"Well not tonight, we don't. We'll have something to eat and then go to bed," his father replied, as always his pragmatism taking priority before any sentimental notions.

"We could call it the 'The Rip" Robert laughed and pulled Rip into his arm for half a hug.

"It's not finished yet, and it was a joined effort," Rip protested humbly, awkwardly freeing himself from Robert's grip, but he also kind of liked the idea that Robert acknowledged how much sweat, blood and tears Rip had put into this piece of land.

"It was, Rip, but that joined effort would have never happened if it wasn't for you," Mr Dutton said. He pulled Rip into a proper hug, proudly slapping the boy's back with far too much force and enthusiasm, as he was watching Frank and his brother shaking hands with each other. This truly was a welcomed sight.

As they brought the tools and equipment back into the shed Rip finally felt his tiredness and exhaustion catch up with him. He hadn't slept much the night before, and the whole day had been somewhat of a rollercoaster, again. It was a good tiredness though and he was content to end it like this, he mused.