This story which his friend had told him out of amusement had nothing to do with the Marquis's house but strangely enough, after they parted that day, he was nowhere to be found.

Although the beggars each have their own territory, the place they sleep at night would not change. He had gone to his friend's 'home' to find him but no one was there. Others had also said that they had not seen him in two days.

His intuition told him that something must've happened, most likely linked to the happenings of the nunnery. They were vagabonds without families or relatives, it was not unusual for them to stumble upon things they shouldn't see, only to pay dearly for it.

This was why he had insisted on meeting with An Chang Qing. Maybe the information he provided could help him find his friend.

After hearing his story, An Chang Qing deeply pondered.

Wu Juan Shu's concubine was probably hidden inside the nunnery. The crazy woman who had made a ruckus and accused someone there of colluding with a nobleman and killing her son... That person was most likely to be Wu Juan Shu.

And this matter might even involve a life.

But whether it was his last life or this one, An Chang Qing had never heard of the Wu Manor being involved in any murder cases. After all, they were under the Emperor's jurisdiction, no matter how powerful, they still would not dare to commit murder.

Unless the woman was spouting nonsense or that the nobleman was not someone from the Marquis's manor... Or another possibility was that the Marquis himself had managed to bury this crime.

Just like the beggar who had disappeared into thin air.

An Chang Qing fidgeted his fingers, thinking back to Xiao Zhige's words to him, 'always strike where it hurts', he wittily formed a plan in his head.

An Chang Qing said to Anfu, "Pay the rest of the money and reward each of them another ten silver taels. Let this matter regarding the Wu Manor from now on be sealed in your memories."

The old beggar thanked An Chang Qing repetitively but the young boy hesitated before lowering his head and begged, "I do not want the reward, I only hope that your grace will help me find my friend."

This matter nevertheless was triggered by him. Seeing that he was still young and exhibited comradeship, An Chang Qing agreed, "Keep the money, it's your just reward. As for your friend, I will help you look for him but I cannot guarantee any results."

"Thank you sir," The little beggar shook his head, "Your willingness to help is already a great kindness. If he can't be found... then that is his fate."

After sending them away, Zhou He Lan said, "Is your grace investigating the affairs of Marquis Wu?"

An Chang Qing was surprised, "You know of the Marquis's Manor?"

"I've heard a little about them. It's all praise for the Marquis's righteous ways in regulating his family and also for how generous and virtuous his wives are."

Marquis Wu had eight concubines, over ten sons and seven or eight daughters. His wife and concubines were harmonious and even his children were friendly with each other, much unlike most other families who would bicker and compete for favors. As such, the Marquis's family dynamic was the envy of many.

The Marquis had many wives and children. That, An Chang Qing was well aware of but hearing this from Zhou He Lan, he was quite skeptical. Take his father for example, he had one wife and only two concubines with a handful of children and they were already at each other's throats. Therefore, with that many wives and children, having no enmity was realistically impossible.