Chapter 42 - Survival of the Fittest

Start from the beginning

The thought of Rico makes me feel guilty. Guilty that I could not reciprocate his feelings. I agree with my mother, after so many years, I can't believe he wasn't over with me.

"Yes, he is a sweetheart..." I sighed heavily.

"I don't know what's bothering you, but I'm going to cook your favourites for dinner tonight, hopefully, that will make you feel better," My mother said with a comforting smile.

"Thank you, mum, but let me help you with dinner too," I said.

Before I could even stand up for the kitchen, the bell to our door rang.

My heart dropped in disappointment as I figured maybe David was back early from his fishing trip. I went to the door and opened it, to my astonishment, the man that stood in front of me wasn't David but Rico!

"Hi Clara," Rico greeted me with his beguiling smile.

"Rico? Why are you here?" I asked with a perplexed look.

"Baby, who's at the door?" My mother asked as she made her way out from the kitchen.

"Mum, it's Rico!" I yelled across the living hall.

"Oh Rico, please come in!" My mother said excitedly at the glimpse of Rico.

"Thank you, Aunt Mary. Saw this lovely flowers while on my way here, thought you would love them," Rico said as he passed a bouquet of fresh flowers to my mum.

"They're indeed lovely, you're such a sweetheart, thank you," My mother was obviously bought over by how sweet Rico was.

"Clara, why don't you be a good host to Rico while I get dinner done," My mum instructed me before she heads back to the kitchen.

Gosh... I don't know what to say to Rico... I still feel guilty towards him.

"Can we have a talk outside?" Rico asked as he tucked his hands into his jeans. I could sense that he felt the awkwardness that was going on too.

"Sure..." I replied and we made our way to the backyard.

"So... What brings you here?" I asked once again.

Rico looked straight into my eyes and I could see how serious he was getting with his jaws clenched before he said, "Clara, you know I'm here for you."

Overwhelmed by what was going on, I asked him, "What? How did you even know that I was here?"

"Dorris told me. Clara, this is our only chance to get away from Luciano. I'll make sure that you'll be safe and sound away from him," Rico explained as he grabbed my arms.

"No, Rico, I told you, it's different now. I love him and I'm getting married to him," I shrugged off his grip and showed him the engagement ring on my hand.

Rico's POV

No wonder Dorris sounded reluctant to tell me about Clara's whereabout. My heart burns at the sight of the ring on her hand. How dare he take her away from me.

"No, Clara, you're not getting married to him! I won't let you!" I said in an agitated tone.

"Rico... Why can't you understand?" Clara said as she shook her head annoyingly.

"Is there a problem?" Aunt Mary's sudden appearance jolted us up.

"No, nothing... Mum, let me help you with dinner," Clara took the opportunity to excuse herself from me.

Darn... I won't let history repeats itself again. I won't give up on Clara without a fight anymore.

Clara's POV