Chapter 23 - Secrets

Start from the beginning

"It would be an honor milady." James says, playfully bowing as Rose squeals. 

"Let's go to the bar and go dancing!" Rose says, pointing to a bar as Charlotte laughs but nods as they all walk to the bar. As soon as they entered, they could hear the jazz music playing and the people laughing. 

"Come on, dance with me!" Rose says, grabbing James' hand and dragging him to the dance floor. Charlotte chuckles and smiles watching them interact. 

"Care to dance?" A young man asks, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck and extending a hand. 

"I'm afraid not. I'm sorry." She says flashing her wedding ring as he gets the hint and smiles before bowing. 

"I apologize." 

"No, need. Good day." Charlotte says handing him a drink. He smiles and takes the drink before walking away. 

A few minutes later Charlotte saw Rose dancing with another man and James was approaching her. 

"Care to dance? You look pretty lonely." James said offering her a hand. Charlotte was hesitant because of James' flirty past. "I promise I won't try anything." Charlotte smiled and nodded letting him led her to the dance floor. 

"I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused," James said, "I just wanted some attention and didn't really think about the damage I made." 

"Thank you. That means a lot." Charlotte said before she was cut of by Rose falling into them. Clearly a little tipsy. "I think it's time for us to leave." Charlotte said as James held Rose up and nodded. 

Once back at Aunt Rosmend's, Charlotte but Rose to sleep and bid James a farewell and headed out to go see her friend. 

"So how was the wedding?" Poppy asked taking a sip of tea. 

"Magical, it wasn't to traditional and very us. What about you? How's the planning going?" Charlotte asked. 

"Stressful Patricks family won't let us not have a traditional wedding, but it's okay I suppose. I'm also so sorry I couldn't make it to your wedding, Patricks family was making us go to Ireland for a gala. I tried to get out of it but.." Poppy said, clearly distressed a little. 

"It's alright Poppy, no need to worry. You had other things to deal with." Charlotte said, placing a hand on Poppy's when all the sudden you see Lord Gillingham and Mary walk into the restaurant. You could only assume that she was telling him about Mr. Green. 

"When Peter returns from America I would love to meet him," Poppy says interrupting her thoughts. 

"Oh yes, of course. We'd love to have you over for dinner some day. Things have just been so busy lately." 

"No worries." 

After luncheon Charlotte headed back to Aunt Rosamonds to pick up Rose and head back to the Abbey.  The whole ay back Rose was silent, concerning Charlotte. 

"What's wrong Rose? You where chatting up a storm on the way here. Is there something wrong?" Charlotte asked, noticing that Rose wouldn't look her in the eye. 

"It's just that I felt like a child being babysat the whole time." Rose whined, as Charlotte sighed. 

"Last time you went out in London alone you met up with a married man Rose. You haven't been the most responsible person." Charlotte reason as Rose sighed, realizing that Charlotte was right. "Next time maybe we can do a test run to see if you can be left alone." 

When they arrived to the Abbey, Rose immediately got out and stomped her way inside. Cora was outside waiting for them.  

"So?" 

"Lunch was great, Rose however will be sulking for the rest of the day." Charlotte chuckled as her mother smiled. 

"Will you be joining us for dinner?" Cora asked, as they both walked inside. 

"I suppose, no use in going home if I'm already here." Charlotte said, as Cora smiled and led her to the library. 

"I wanted to ask how things are with you and Peter?" 

"Mama..." Charlotte warned. 

"You don't have to tell me all the details, but it's been a few months," 

"Yes, and Peter's been gone for two weeks so nothing can happen now. I don't really think it's any of your business anyway," Charlotte spat. 

"It's all of our business darling. It's our grandchildren and the rest of the Crawley bloodline." Robert said walking into the library. 

"You forget that I have the right to never take my children to the abbey. I wouldn't argue with me." Charlotte said standing up, and walking out of the library, and almost running into Tom. 

"What's wrong?" Tom asked, holding Charlotte's shoulders.

"My parents have never been interested in my life all that much before and now it's all they seem to care about, which also comes along with they're opinions and orders.  I just wished the didn't boss me around like I'm a child," Charlotte vented. 

"I think they're feeling a little left our in Mary and Edith's life and want to be in the loop with someone. Once Tony and Mary make things official I'm sure they'll shift there attention to them." Tom said, as Charlotte sighed. 

"I don't want to sound like a brat though. 'My parents are asking about my life' when that's what other people dream of but doesn't happen." Charlotte started rambling, but Tom cut her off by shaking his head. 

"No, it's the way you grew up. That's not your fault." 

"Thanks Tom." Charlotte said giving him a big hug. he was like the big brother she always wanted.