Chapter 5: And You Thought Grocery Stores Were Boring?

I opened up the fridge and frowned at the lack of food. I was meeting Kyle at the movies later that day and was hoping to eat before we went. I hated movie theater food.

“Mom, we’re all out of food again.” I called.

“Really? I feel like we just went food shopping.” She said.

“No. You went like three weeks ago.” I laughed. My mom is a lawyer, and it doesn’t take much for her to lose track of time.

“Do you mind going for the basics?” She asked, handing me her card.

"Nope. But I’m getting ice cream.” I said, and walked out to my car followed by her laughter.

“I turn my cheek music up and I’m puffing my chest.” I turned the volume up on the radio and began singing along with the popular song.

“That was Jealous by Nick Jonas.” The radio personality said and I rolled my eyes before switching back to the country station.

I forgot he sang that song.

I pulled into the grocery store parking lot and shut the car off. I locked it with the remote on the keychain and made my way into the store.

“Phish Food, Phish Food, Phish Food.” I mumbled, my eyes scanning over the Ben & Jerry’s selection.

“Are you following me?” A voice asked.

My head shot up and I turned to see where the voice came from.

“Don’t hit me!” He cried, holding his hands up in defense.

Standing next to me in the aisle was Nick Jonas in a sweatshirt, baseball hat, and sunglasses.

“I won’t hit you if you don’t cause me internal organ damage again. And wow, no one will suspect a thing with you dressed like that.” I said sarcastically, grabbing the pint and tossing it in my carriage.

“But seriously, are you following me?” He asked with a grin, following me out of the aisle.

“No, I can assure you I am not stalking you.” I said, walking back to the produce section.

“It just seems fishy to run into each other here.” He said.

“I know. Two people running into each other at the grocery store. That never happens.” I said and he laughed, missing my cold tone. I was not in the mood for the celebrity treatment today. I wanted to get my food and be on my way.

“Sassy.” He joked while I chose a cucumber for the salad.

I just shook my head and chuckled. I finished getting everything for the salad and we walked over to the registers.

“Aw shit.” He said, looking out into the parking lot.

“Where did they come from?” I asked, looking at the black vans and men and women with cameras.

“I swear they appear from the asphalt.” He grumbled.

“But seriously, are you surprised they found you. You look ridiculous.” I said.

“I do not look ridiculous.” He argued.

“You’re wearing sunglasses inside a grocery store.” I said.

“Fluorescent lights, duh.” He said, pointing at the ceiling.

I handed my mom’s card to the cashier and paid for the groceries.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked.

“Home?” I said, thinking that was pretty obvious.