Umbrella.

-

"When I turn 20, let's date!" little Jeno exclaims excitedly. Woo Kyung chuckles at the 12-year-old boy prancing around her at the playground. "By that time I'd look like a grandmother standing beside you though. Are you sure about that?" the older female asks. "Noona, you're only a few years older! Besides, you have a baby face and I'll make sure to grow big so you look younger!" Jeno pulls out his pinky. "Promise?" Woo Kyung plays along with him. "Sure, Jeno", she laughs at the younger boy's ambitious wish.

Woo Kyung looks at the digital watch on her left wrist. "Jeno-ya, it's time to go home~ Your mum should be home by now", Woo Kyung tells Jeno as she picks up his school bag. They start walking home as they share some small talk. "Noona, I heard that there are many good looking hyungs in your school, is that true?" Jeno asks. "I'm not sure, why do you ask?" Woo Kyung asks him back. "Don't fall for them, noona! Remember your promise!" Jeno reminds her of the promise they made just moments ago. "Noona is busy studying, Jeno", Woo Kyung laughs at his adorable reminder as they continue walking down the street.

-

7 years later

"If there are no further questions, I shall end today's lecture here. Have a good weekend, everyone", Professor Yang says as he tidies up and dismisses the class. "More like shittiest weekend ever", So Min says as she buries her head in her textbook. "That's really too much work for a deadline so early. I think I'll have to stay back today to at least get the researching part done", Woo Kyung sighs, thinking of all the work she has to complete before even heading home. "Girls, check the group chat", Ha Eun tells the two girls in a rush. Both So Min and Woo Kyung whip out their phones to read the messages sent in the group chat. "A compulsory club gathering? Talk about bad timing, man!" So Min grunts and buries her head back into her textbook. "I know... But I guess at least we're going there to eat, not to do more work" Ha Eun says to the two girls who look extremely exhausted. "Hey Woo Kyung, good for you, Jaehyun sunbae will be there", Ha Eun nudges Woo Kyung after reading more messages in the group chat, slightly smirking. Woo Kyung blushes.

-

Woo Kyung's desk is piled up with books and research papers while she busily works on her assignment. "Spiral of Silence... Spiral of Silence? Didn't I just put that book back?" Woo Kyung throws her head back in frustration. She stands up and takes a pile of books to be returned - a little too many books for her to carry. Woo Kyung refuses to go two rounds, so she takes the heavy pile of books and starts walking towards the trolley of returned books.

As she walks, a few books threaten to fall when suddenly someone catches hold of the falling books. Woo Kyung looks up, "Sunbae!" she calls out loud in surprise. Jaehyun looks around and puts a finger on his lips, reminding her that they're in the library. Woo Kyung realizes and starts apologizing softly to the other people in the library, feeling embarrassed. Jaehyun takes a few more books from her and they walk to the trolley together. "Thank you, sunbae" Woo Kyung smiles at Jaehyun. "No worries. You're going for the gathering tonight, right?" Jaehyun asks her. "I don't have a choice, do I?" Woo Kyung sighs, "But before that, I have work to do. I might be a little late". Woo Kyung says to Jaehyun. He thinks for a while before saying, "Should I stay here with you until the gathering?" Jaehyun asks her. She's taken aback. "Well, I can give you a hand with your work too, if you want", he offers, smiling.

Jaehyun has always been especially nice and helpful towards Woo Kyung ever since she joined the club as a freshman in college. As they spend more time together, Woo Kyung develops feelings for Jaehyun, but she's convinced that it's one-sided. What she isn't aware of is, Jaehyun has always been taking care of her behind her back. During club gatherings, he makes sure she doesn't drink too much. Even if she does, he makes sure to take care of her well and ward off any other sunbaes who especially love to pick on freshmen. Without them knowing, this has been going on for about a year, but none of them have the courage to tell each other.

-

"That's not it, that's not it. But how do I do this?" Woo Kyung talks to herself while on her laptop, working on an assignment that she has been struggling with for the past hour. She starts biting her fingernails. "Noona! Don't do that!" Jeno, seated opposite her, pulls her hand down from her mouth, lecturing her on her bad habits. "Okay, okay, I won't do it anymore" Woo Kyung tells Jeno, eyes still fixated on her laptop screen. "Ah! I got it!" Woo Kyung exclaims before excitedly typing away.

Jeno rests his head on both his palms, elbows on his math worksheet while he stares at her typing on her laptop. "Done!" Woo Kyung crosses her arms in front of her chest proudly. "Noona", Jeno calls her. "Yes?" Woo Kyung answers, eyes still fixated on the screen. "Noona!" Jeno whines to try to get her attention. She still doesn't look at him. Jeno leans forward and cups her cheek towards him. Woo Kyung freezes with wide eyes, blinking at Jeno. "Noona, I'm already 19, you know?" Jeno tells her. Confused, Woo Kyung tries to think of an answer. "Oh, is that so? Wow, time has passed really fast?" she says, hoping that was the answer he wanted to hear so he can remove his hands. "I hope you still remember your promise", Jeno says. Woo Kyung's eyes wander, trying to make sense of what he's saying. Jeno pouts seeing her reaction. "You promised that we'll date when I turn 20" Jeno reminds her. "Oh", Woo Kyung panics. "Did... Did I say that?" Woo Kyung asks, hoping that the answer would be no. "No going back on your words, noona", Jeno says sternly. Woo Kyung thought it was just a childish promise that they made when they were young. She never took it seriously. Seeing Jeno so serious about it takes her aback.

"Lee Jeno!" a voice calls from outside the room. "Yes", Jeno answers. The room door opens. "Jeno-ya, let's go", Jeno's mum tells him. "So fast? You should chat longer with Woo Kyung's mum", Jeno whines. "We've chatted enough, now let's go. Hurry, stop disturbing Woo Kyung noona, she has to study", his mum gestures to him to hurry up and come out before smiling at Woo Kyung. "Woo Kyung, how's college? Is it alright?" Jeno's mum asks softly. "Yes, it's good! I'm doing well", Woo Kyung replies. "That's good to hear. This boy keeps telling me he wants to go to the same school as you, and I was a little worried, but since you said it's alright, I can rest assured", Jeno's mum explains as Jeno tidies up and walks toward her. "Anyways, we'll get going now. Thanks for looking after Jeno!", she says before Jeno starts telling her that he didn't have to be "taken care of" and that he studied too.

They both leave the room noisily, leaving Woo Kyung sighing.

-

A few months later

Woo Kyung's phone rings. She pauses the drama she was watching and answers the video call. "Noona!" Jeno's voice hollers from the other side of the call. "Yes, Jeno?" she asks. "Hello, noona! Long time no see!" 3 of Jeno's other friends pop up one by one beside him. "Oh, long time no see boys! What's up?" Woo Kyung greets them. "Jeno has good news for you, noona!" Dong Hyuk says. "Noona, I got in!" Jeno exclaims. Woo Kyung is confused. "What do you mean?" she asks. Jaemin hits Jeno's arm "You have to tell her properly", Jaemin tells Jeno. "Noona, I got into your college!" Jeno announces happily. "Really?!" Woo Kyung gasps and tells her mum who walked in front of her. "Oh my, is it true, Jeno-ya?" Woo Kyung's mum asks Jeno through the call. He nods excitedly. "Noona, I got into the same school too", Renjun and Jaemin take turns telling her. "Congratulations, you guys! I'm so happy for you! See you on campus, boys!" Woo Kyung congratulates them.

-