𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎

Start from the beginning

"We're not going out tonight," Ambrose interjects as he pats Jude on the back to alert him that he's ready to head out on stage.

"Oh?" Callie nearly pouts.

"We've got an interview," Jude explains with a groan, "Jeff could only fit it in after the show, since we're leaving early tomorrow."

"Bummer," Billie laments with a feigned frown that she makes a point of directing at Ezra.

He offers an uncaring shrug, fingers fumbling with the wrapper of a cherry colored candy before popping it into his mouth. There's almost something sexy about the way it moves with his tongue and clacks against his teeth. "I'm sure you'll find another poor sap to pick on," he replies.

"She already did," Callie assures with a chuckle, "Monte's coming along."

The mention of the male has little outward effect on Ezra. His attention shifts to Jude as a crew member begins motioning for them to head towards the stage. "How unfortunate for him."

For a moment, Billie is unsure who the male is trying to keep the act up for. Still, she lets out an audible display of annoyance. "Good luck guys," Billie offers to Ambrose and Jude, before dismissively turning back towards Ezra. "Try not to blow it."

"I'm usually not the one doing the blowing," he calls out towards the blonde as she already makes her way towards her dressing room.

Though she makes a point to ignore him, the smile tugging on her features as she heads down the hall says different. The sound of his voice on stage nearly makes her weak in her knees as her hand meets the door handle. "I'm feeling real good tonight, Nashville. How about you?"

She can't wipe the grin off her face as she pushes the door open. Immediately, however, she's met with a familiar face that nearly makes her go white. Monte furrows his brows, moving to stand up from leaning on her vanity. "Hey," he greets, "Sorry. Did I scare you?"

She shakes her head adamantly, stomach knotting at the thought that he's standing right where Ezra was kneeling before her. "No, not at all," she replies hurriedly, "Just didn't think you'd be in here."

Though it's dishonest not to tell him, Billie doesn't technically owe Monte an explanation either. They weren't exclusive. Hell, they had just hooked up for the first time a few days ago. Still, she likes him enough to value his feelings, and the last thing she wants to do is hurt him.

"I guess I should've waited outside," he offers with a nervous chuckle, hand combing through his wavy locks.

She moves to close the door behind her, head shaking once more. "No, of course you can be in here," Billie assures.

"Okay, good," he replies before pausing, "Because I was hoping to catch you before we went out with everyone tonight."

Billie can feel her stomach drop. She's not sure where this conversation is headed, but she prays it's not where she thinks. "What's up?"

"Well, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to do something with just you and me instead," he offers, "It's cool if not. I just saw this old western themed bar downtown, and I wanted to check it out before we left."

She can feel a weight lifted off her shoulders at his request, and Billie attempts to bite back a new kind of smile. "Like a date?"

He nods affirmatively, hands finding their way into the pockets of his Dickies. "Yeah," he confirms, "Like a date."

At this moment, she decides she's not going to let Ezra ruin her chance at a good time with a nice guy. One hook up that didn't even lead to sex is hardly something to get worked up over.

"Should I bust out my cowboy boots?" She questions with a grin before moving to meet him at the vanity.

"Duh," he answers, more relaxed by their proximity. "How else are you gonna ride the mechanical bull?"

Her eyes widen with excitement at his comment, her smile almost hurting her cheeks. "Now, I know you're just joking," she begins, "but you should know that I am one hundred percent riding that thing. And not only that, but I'm about to be reigning champ."

"Is that so?" He replies with a chuckle, hands moving to snake around her waist and tug her closer.

Billie instinctively rests her hands against his chest, relief and comfort washing over her. "You don't think I will?" She challenges.

"Oh, I know you will," he assures with an affirmative nod, "Maybe we could take on the bull together."

"You wanna do it tandem, huh?" She flirts, "Something tells me you might get distracted."

"Trust me, I'm already distracted. I might lose my job when Monica takes a look at my SD card."

"Why's that?"

"Pretty much all my pictures are of you," he admits with a slight shrug, and Billie can feel her heart skip a beat.

Something about the way he carries himself and how he isn't afraid to admit his infatuation is endearing to the singer. Truthfully, the subject of men and relationships is one that never came easy to her. In fact, she only dated seriously once before moving out to New York. Then, her career made the option of a long term relationship virtually impossible.

Besides, men like Monte aren't the type she usually attracts. The kind of guys that actively pursue her are, well, guys like Ezra. Perhaps that's why the thought of something serious never crossed her mind. Though it's far too early to even consider that option with the photographer, part of her feels optimistic about it.

"Then you better start taking more pictures of the other girls," she cautions, "because I want you on the rest of this tour."

"Yes, ma'am," he replies in a playful tone.

"Now get out of here." Billie playfully motions her hand to shoo him off. "I gotta get ready for our date."

"I'll meet you back here in twenty, yeah?" He offers, while leaning on the frame of her dressing room door.

She nods, bottom lip caught between her teeth in excitement. An actual date.