part ten.

"When Chris does that thing —"  Melanie laughed.  "What's that thing he does?  The fans all like to talk about it, when he's laughing..."

"Oh," laughed Sebastian.  "He goes and laughs at something, and if a person is there he'll go and pat them on the chest or the shoulder, kinda like —"

Sebastian imitated Chris and patted Melanie's shoulder as he pretended to lean back and laugh. It made Melanie smile.

"Yeah, that's it," she said.  "I saw something about that that a fan posted on Instagram or something and it made me think."

"He's something," said Sebastian.

They had been sitting on the bench and talking for almost an hour now.  They'd chatted about everything under the sun, from favorite foods, to restaurants, to friends, and the last topic being Chris Evans.  In fact, they'd barely talked about the kiss.  But as soon as the conversation died down, it was the first thing that came to Melanie's mind.  This had happened before, but Sebastian had come up with another conversation topic before Mel could say anything.  

This time, that didn't happen.

"Listen — about the kiss..."

Seb interrupted her. "I liked it."

Mel smiled.  "You did?"

"Um.. only if you did."

"Yeah," said Mel.  "I really liked it."  She looked at the ground. "Maybe a little too much."

Sebastian was glad she did.

"So what now?" he asked.  "Is it... done?"

"You can walk me back to my hotel," she said. "If you want."

"Sure," said Seb, standing and picking up Melanie's coat.  He held it out for her to put on with a smile.

"What a gentleman," she said, looking at him fondly.  She turned around and he slipped each sleeve onto her arm.  "Thank you," she completed.  Sebastian smiled and nodded.

They walked along the sidewalk a little way, across the street and around the corner.  The town their hotels were in was only a couple streets away from where the Steaming Pot was. 

"What happens if the press sees you?" asked Melanie, as they walked.  "Us?"

"Then they snap a grainy picture when we're not looking, and write something based on words they couldn't even hear," said Seb, shrugging off the hypothetical.  

"You're not... worried?"

"Any magazine that's writing about who celebrities are going out with or have been seen with is one that just wants attention.  I don't care if they see me with you — I like you.  And I'm not hiding you just because some stupid magazine wants to say something dumb."

Melanie smiled.

"And if we do become ... y'know, a, um..."  Sebastian didn't want to say it unless Mel was comfortable with it.

"An item?" she completed.

"Uh — yeah," said Sebastian.  "If we do get together, if you want, but if it does happen... I won't let the press hurt you.  Hurt us."

"Thank you," said Mel.  "I've never dated... you know, a celebrity before.  In fact, I haven't really dated much at all.  Not since college."

"Really?"

"Waiting for the right person," said Mel, smiling up at Sebastian.  He grinned back at her, then put her arm around her as they walked toward her hotel. They stopped just before the main door.

"I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Bright and early," said Mel.  It had been dark for a little while now, since work had ended at five for the both of them, and they met at the coffee shop at six.  There wasn't another time they could do a date, and for now, a coffee meeting was the simplest thing on the table.  

Mel took her phone out of her bag.  

"Come," she said, opening the front camera.  "To remember."

They put their heads together and smiled as Melanie pressed the button.

"Now one silly one," said Sebastian.  "Just to have it."

Melanie smiled. "Okay."

She held out the phone again.  She and Sebastian both stuck their tongues out at the camera.  Mel winked her eye.

"Take a look," she said, after snapping the picture.  She pulled up her camera roll.  Sebastian laughed at the photo of the two of them, making Melanie laugh as well.  They walked up the stairs and to the hotel's grand door.  She snapped a picture of Sebastian when he wasn't looking.  

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said.

They looked at each other for a second, then leaned in for another kiss.  The way their lips fit together felt natural.  The way they smiled at each other as they pulled away was genuine.  

Melanie waved goodbye with a smile, then walked into the hotel.

Sebastian anticipated seeing her tomorrow.

a.n.:

hiiiii

ahhhhhh cute chapter

pls i fan girl over my own writing i act all these out before i go to bed i am a certified simp

anyways, don't forget to vote! 

molly ♡