Chapter Twenty Two ✘ Knight In Shining Armour

Start from the beginning

I frown at him, wanting to give him a snarky retort back, but decide to let it slide. He's hurt and exhausted. I can bite his head off later.

Trying to ignore the tornado of feelings stirring inside me at the fact that I'm sitting on his lap, I continue cleaning the blood off his mouth. Jace's spicy, masculine scent surrounds me, and I can feel every breath he inhales and exhales.

The close proximity is making my mind race a million miles a second, but I stay focused on my task at hand.

Once there's no more blood on his face, I reach over to grab the ointment from the counter, shifting slightly. Jace opens his eyes at the movement, tightening his hold on my hips and pulling me closer, landing me right on top of his crotch.

My body goes rock solid, my hands clenching around the tube of ointment when I feel the bulge of his pants right between my thighs. I can feel sweat forming on my hairline, throat tightening and my pulse galloping like a race horse.

Slowly, I lift my gaze from the ointment in my hands to Jace's face, to find him already looking at me.

His mouth tugs up into a lazy smile, making his dimples deepen on his cheeks. Jace shoots a quick glance down between us. "You gonna fix that too, Princess?"

My lips part in surprise, and I feel my eyes widen slightly, his words triggering another wave of heat to flush in the pit of my belly.

Repulse rolls through me at the way my body reacts to him so easily, and I glare down at his hands that are on my hips, my eyes tracing his tattoos and rings.

I hate how attracted to him I am, even if it's just physically.

I hate how I don't just want his hands on my hips, I hate that I want them everywhere.

Gritting my teeth, I force myself to get over it, not wanting to show him how much he affects me. "If by fix, you mean chop it off, yes. I will."

"Easy, you little demon." Jace looks at me through his thick lashes, his expression lazy, and comfortable, like this isn't unusual and weird whatsoever. Like this was normal, me on his lap.

"I was just your knight in shining armour after all." He teases, cracking another dimpley smile.

"Maybe you didn't see, but I didn't just sit and wail when he slapped my ass." I retort.

Jace nods, admiration flicking through his eyes. "I did see that. You got him good."

"Thanks." I huff. "And you'll be next if you don't shut the fuck up and let me finish cleaning this wound up."

"Yes, ma'am."

A few minutes later, I slide off his lap, and my body immediately mourns the loss of his, already missing the way his strong, firm body felt underneath me, his hands on my hips.

The more time I spend with him, the more reactive I am to him. To his touches, to his looks. And the more annoyed, and repulsed I feel towards myself for feeling all these things towards him in the first place.

It's like a constant battle between my mind that wants to rip his head off and my body that just wants more of him.

Irritated, I shove everything back inside the First Aid kit, I put it back under the sink and turn, to see him standing right behind me.

Jace dips his head, his face inches away from me, his hot breath fanning my mouth as he speaks.

"Thank you, sweetheart."

I'm frozen as he brushes a strand of hair off my forehead, and swivels around, walking out of the bathroom, leaving me with a mix of repulse and attraction whirling within me.