Ch 9

Flashback 3 years ago

"Girl thank you for squeezing me in today." I said to the hairstylist.

"Yea no problem. You're my favorite customer." She patted the chair, gesturing for me to sit.

"Alright let's get started."

She pulled out the hair and got to work.

About 30 minutes in she said she had to use the bathroom. So, I went on my phone and flipped through Insta. As I was doing that I began to hear gunshots outside her apartment.

Since we were on the first floor, I quickly ran over to the window to close the blinds. Right when I was about to I recognized a car and a few people outside.

It was my eldest brother Akari. Him, a few of friends, had guns pointed at people I'd never seen before that also had their guns pointed. They were literally having a shootout.

The window was open and I could hear what sounded like a baby crying coming from somewhere near my brother's car.

That's when I saw through the back window, Kamil.

He had a two year old in the back of his car in the middle of commotion. I could not believe it.

The looks on Akari's and his friend's faces became worried. All of them but Akari and one of his friends got in one car. Akari and his friend scrambled to get in another car and left Akari's and drove off.

When I saw the streets were clear. I hurriedly slid on my sandals and ran out to Akari's car. He had left Kamil in his car while he cried so loudly.

"Hey what's going on outside? Where are you going?" My hairstylist, Diara, came out the bathroom.

"I'll be right back." I told her and flew out the door.

Luckily the car was unlocked. I took Kamil out his carseat and brought him inside.

"Um who's kid is that? Wait isn't this your nephew? Was he outside while all that was happening?" She asked.

I answered all her questions while rocking Kamil in my arms.

"Do you need me to call someone?" She asked.

"Yes, use my phone and call my mom. When she answers put her on speaker." I handed her my phone.

Once my mom answered I started speaking, "Mom I just found Kamil left in a car in the middle of a shootout."

My mom was in so much shock she didn't even know what to say. She decided though that I should bring Kamil to her.

"Did you make sure he's not hurt?" My mom asked.

"I've checked already."

I told Diara that I was sorry but I had to go. She was sympathetic and even asked if I needed any help. I told her no and drove to my parent's.