Chapter Twenty-Seven

The breath leaves my lungs as I stumble backwards. I don't even entertain the ridiculous information. I shake my head as I keep my eyes down.

"We understand that this isn't the ideal way to tell you," Sky says. "We are just strangers to you but you are not a stranger to us. We have grown up hearing stories about you."

I look back to her and I narrow my eyes. There are things that I cannot deny. Like our resemblance, the mystery surrounding my wolf gene, their protectiveness over me earlier when the eclipse took place. But I remember my life. I remember every part of it. If I was a part of this other life—this other world—then I would know.

"Our parents were ordered to kill you when you were born," Sky continues. "You were the first-born fourth generation descendant. You were the curse breaker. Our pack feared retaliation from Malese if they allowed you to live. Our parents had no choice."

"Devon," Thorn says, kneeling at my side as I fall into the log.

I feel his hand curl around mine. He holds it tightly and I squeeze it even tighter. I need some time. I can hardly breathe. Thorn fills the gap and asks the questions that I can't even stomach to ask.

"So your parents gave her to humans to raise?"

"It looks that way," Sky says. "We only discovered that you were alive today when we smelt your DNA. Our parents never told us that they spared you. I guess they couldn't."

"Where are they now?"

"Our alpha has imprisoned them. Our father is his second in command so it is a conflict of interest for him. He is deciding between exile and execution."

"Execution?" Kiara growls. "For not killing their child?"

"Yes." Sky turns back to Thorn. "Since we were children, we have grown up hearing about your war with Atticus. We were taught about the curse and the only way to break it. Every four generations, the first-born will find her way to you. It was a loophole that Malese couldn't control." Sky looks down at our hands. "So she put a different twist on it."

"And now you see why this 'twist' means that Devon can't break the curse."

Sky nods.

"So go back and tell your alpha that."

"He won't believe us," Dominic says. "He saw us protecting her, he knows we'll say anything to change his mind."

Thorn sighs and leans back, using his other hand to rub his chin. I look at him and he takes time out of his frustration to meet my terrified gaze.

"If you can't get to your pack then you need to take her back to the humans." Sky looks directly at me. "We will stay with you until you're safe."

"No," Thorn says immediately. "I can't protect her if she crosses the border."

"You don't have a choice," Sky says.

"No," Thorn repeats.

"I'll go," I say. Thorn glares at me. "I'm not putting your life in danger."

"Devon, no," he says desperately. "I have been sentenced to eternal punishment. They can't kill me."

"They can do worse things than kill you," Dominic says. "You don't stand a chance against them without your pack."

Thorn is conflicted. He closes his eyes and rubs his temples as he flicks through dozens of alternative options. There aren't any. He looks to Kiara for some form of input but she remains distant and cold.

"You know where I stand on the matter," she says. "She has to stay alive. I am not waiting another hundred years for the next one to run through here."