Chapter Eight

I need to pee but the sound of a snoring man outside the cave entrance is making it difficult. I bite on my nail as I see the outline of his head resting against the ground. His head is the only thing that I can see. From this angle I can only make out dark hair.

"Hello?" I call.

The man doesn't stir. If anything, his snores get louder. I nudge myself closer to the entrance, cringing as I directly move underneath a giant spider web. I go slower and slower as one of the spiders starts to drop downwards. It's huge. I hold my breath as its long legs reach down for the ground and then it starts running at me.

I push myself up and I scream as I run out of the cave. I pat my whole body down as I stomp erratically onto the leaves.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you?"

The first thing I notice is his smooth British accent, the second thing I notice is his lack of clothes. My eyes trail over his bare torso as lays flat on his stomach.

"Oh my god, you're naked."

"Yes," he says, in an obvious tone. "Have you never seen a naked man before?"

I swallow and glance away, turning my body in a different direction.

"Oh, you haven't. Wow."

"Who are you?" I demand. "Why are you following me?"

"Why were you making those screeching sounds?" he asks back.

"A spider ran at me."

I hear his laughter and I glance over with a scowl.

"You woke me up because of a spider? God, humans are so annoying."

"Can you please put some clothes on and explain to me why you are sleeping so close to me?" I say.

"Does it look like I have clothes on me?" he says.

I point towards the cave entrance. "There's a quilt in there. Use that."

"Alright. Hopefully the man-eating spider doesn't get me." He puffs. "Girls."

I pace a little as I wait for him to return. He walks out of the cave with the quilt wrapped around his large frame. For the first time, I look at him. Really look at him. I can't stop staring. Not just because he's incredibly beautiful with dark hair, a short beard and alluring green eyes but because of the scar that is slashed across his right cheek.

"Does it scare you?" he asks, touching his scar. "Would you like to know what did it to me?"

"No," I say. "I want you to answer my questions."

"Alright." He takes a seat on the ground. "Ask."

"I already did."

He grins to himself. "You want to know who I am and why I'm following you?"

I nod.

"You seemed pretty helpless and clueless out here," he says. "I thought I'd offer some help."

"Why?"

"Because otherwise you'd be dead?"

"Do you live out here?"

"Yes," he says.

"And the wolf? Where is it?" I look around the woods but I can't see it.

"The wolf is sleeping," he says, half-smiling with amusement. "He doesn't like daylight."

"So he's yours?"

The man nods slowly. "He's mine."

"So you are the one that left me the water and food," I say.