The water isn't the cleanest and I observe the heavy load in my hands that smell very strange. I walk through the water and I place them at the side of the bank on the least dirty patch of grass that I can find.

I push my body across the lake, swimming my way into the middle. I float on my back and I dunk the back of my head down so that my hair is wet. My eyes meet the strength of the sun above me and I circle my arms as I smile. The peace is exhilarating. My heart has never felt so relaxed. I've had anxiety for most of my life, mainly due to my parents and family members that would always treat me as though I had to earn being accepted.

I've never felt like I had a home or a purpose and maybe I'll die before ever finding one. I'm okay with that. Leaving this world without ever finding a place to belong is better than being raped, beaten and belittled every day for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'll belong to something new every day. Today, I belong to this lake.

The sound of rustling leaves makes me push myself back to my feet. I curl my arms around my chest as Thorn returns and drops a pile of fresh clothes onto the grass. He meets my eyes when he straightens. I circle my finger slowly as I swallow.

He distances himself a little, turning his back to me.

I still keep an arm tight around my chest and my private area as I leave the water. I make sure he isn't looking before I rinse my knotted hair. I look down at the ground and I spot a towel.

"Where do you get this stuff from?" I say as I bend down and pick it up.

"I stole them from cabins."

I make an amused, shocked sound. "Thief."

"I'm sure they don't care."

I dry off my body and hair with the towel and I lay it down to stand on. Thorn keeps his back to me the entire time, he rests his hand against a tree and sighs.

"Are you done yet?"

"Almost."

"By the way, I don't mind you going through my things but those books are very old. Try not to ruin them."

I almost drop the shirt from my fingers. "You know? Is that another superhuman sense you have?"

"No, I just noticed that they were put back in the wrong order."

I smile as I pull the shirt over my head slowly, trying to ignore the shooting pains around my bruised wrists. The shirt even bigger than the last one and I try to fold it up to my waist so that I can get the pants on easily. It's uncomfortable without underwear, the material itches against me. I pull up the ends and I fold them around my ankles. I slip my feet back into my flat wedding shoes. They don't match and I look ridiculous.

"You can turn around now," I say.

He pushes his hand away from the tree and turns. He looks me over for a few seconds before sniffing into the air. I freeze as he walks towards me, he keeps his eyes on mine with seriousness as he stands right before me and sniffs again. "Better. Your natural scent is incredible." He backs up and shakes his head.

I scowl after him as he walks away. I slowly follow. "Can I give an opinion on your stench?"

"No."

"What about the clothes?" I say.

"Leave them to dry, I'll collect them later."

I wince slightly at the thought of him handling my underwear but it vanishes when I realize that we're going to be sharing more intimidate moments than that. What am I supposed to do when I get my period? How do I even bring that into a conversation?