12. The Cantamen

The night air was chilly. Sylvia and Lily had finally made it out of the castle undetected, and all they had to do now was get out of the gates. It wouldn't be easy though. There were guards stationed everywhere. Luckily, Sylvia knew where each one of them was. They got past the first two sets without any problem. They had to leave their posts to patrol every five minutes, so they waited until they left so they could get past those points. Now they were hidden in the shadows, right by the main gate.

"We've been waiting here forever," Lily whispered. "I don't think they're going to move to patrol."

"I think you're right," Sylvia said. "My father probably tightened security since our little adventure earlier. Speaking of, you shouldn't be out here, Lily. You should have stayed up in my room."

"I don't think so. And let you go up against a sorceress alone?"

"I'm one myself, you know. And it's not like I'm battling her."

"You said you don't know how to use your powers yet."

"Lily?"

"Yes?"

"Shut up." She tended to get chatty when she was nervous. She didn't want to be rude, but if she kept talking, she was going to get them caught.

"I can be quiet."

Sylvia sighed. "I guess we're just going to have to create some sort of distraction."

Lily nodded in agreement. They looked around for something they could use to their advantage.

"There," Sylvia said, pointing off to the left of where they stood. There was a stack of wooden crates. "If we could make those fall somehow, they would go running in the opposite direction and we could slip out."

Lily frowned. "But they're way over there. How on Earth are we going to Wait a minute. I know. You could make them fall with your magic."

She gazed at her skeptically. "Now you're all for me using it?"

Lily shrugged. "If we want to get to Rosebriar Woods to meet Matilda, we have to get past the guards."

"I don't know if I can do it. I told you I don't have control of it. Calum's going to work with me starting tomorrow."

"Well, great, but it doesn't help us tonight."

"Lily-"

"I know. Shut up."

Sylvia smiled. She rubbed her hands together. Lily was right. They needed those crates to fall and neither one of them could do it and have time to run away. They would be caught.

"Okay, Lily. I'm going to try it. Stand back."

Lily's heart was beating wildly as she took a step back. She had been half-joking when she made the suggestion, trying her best to dispel some of the fear that had settled inside of her. She didn't think Sylvia would actually try it.

Sylvia focused on the wooden crates in front of her and took a deep breath. All she had to do to make them fall, was to want it. She just hoped she didn't overdo it. She raised her hand and thrust it forward. Lily was braced for it, but nothing happened. Sylvia looked at her hand strangely, like it was defective or something.

"A spectacular display," Sylvia mumbled. She frowned. It had worked all the other times she tried it. She thought for a second. Both of those had been in times of emotional distress though. She raised her hand again. Maybe if she focused on her inner desperation, she would be able to make it work. She had to get to the woods to meet Matilda. She wanted to know what she had to say. She closed her eyes to see if it would help, but she realized she would need to see. She was getting more frustrated by the second.