10. The Truth Hurts

Merrick cleared his throat nervously. Of all the names he thought would come out of her mouth, he never suspected it would be hers.

"Impossible," Ben commented. "Raveena is dead. Merrick told us she was dead."

"Yes he did," Sylvia agreed. "But apparently, we've both been lied to." There was an accusatory tone in her voice. She had to watch herself though. The last time she got too mouthy, her father had thrown her into the dungeons for the afternoon. It was his way of punishing them sometimes because he knew there was nothing else able to get through to them. She glanced at him indignantly. "Why, father? Why did you tell us Raveena was dead?"

Merrick slid his hand down his face, a deep sigh escaping him. "I-I thought I was protecting you. Both of you."

Ben stared at him, his eyes wide with shock. "You mean it's true. You lied?"

"I had to. I had to tell you something. The truth was too much for me to bear, little long small children."

Anger flickered on Ben's face. "I can't believe this."

"Nor can I," Sylvia added. "Please tell us the truth."

Merrick took his daughter by the hand. "You have to understand why I did it. Please don't be angry with me." He looked at Ben. "Either of you."

Ben set his jaw. He was clearly upset. Sylvia pressed her lips together and looked away for a moment. She was angry, but she knew her father. He was kind at heart. The only thing he had ever been harsh about, in his entire life, was cracking down on sorcery and punishing them now and again. She just needed to understand why he felt it necessary to lie.

"Well, I'm going to be honest," Ben spoke up. "I'm not going to pretend I'm not angry. Raveena was family. I don't really remember her, but it was enough to make me miss her when I was old enough to understand."

"I missed her too. I cried so hard," Sylvia added.

Another sigh escaped the king's mouth. "I'm so sorry. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. I was planning to tell you today, Sylvia, and then Ben right after. I suppose telling you together is best though." He didn't look at either of them as he continued. He couldn't stand to look them in the eye. What he was about to tell them, was a secret he had carried with him for twenty years. No one knew the truth but him and Matilda Swan, and he had wanted to keep it between the two of them. It was the reason he kicked her out of the castle all those years ago. "I had decided to tell you right after your coronation, Sylvia. I just hadn't gotten the chance yet. I was so afraid you or Ben, as much as he is out on patrol, would encounter her and she would hurt you somehow. It has been my greatest fear for a long time now."

He paused as tears came to his eyes. This was so hard for him. It brought up so many feelings and memories he didn't want to have to face, but if he didn't want to lose Ben and Sylvia's trust and loyalty, it was a price he had to pay.

"I'm not sure where to begin. I suppose I should start with the night Alexandra died."

Sylvia and Ben both shifted uncomfortably. Alexandra wasn't Ben's biological mother, but she had taken him in when he was just a baby and she was the only mother he'd ever known. The same was true of Merrick. The king was the only father he had ever known. Sylvia sighed. There was so much intensity and emotion in her father's words already. She wasn't sure she was ready to hear the truth, but she wanted to hear it. She needed to hear it.

"It started like any other night. The servants came and put your mother and me to bed, got us dressed and all, separately of course. We went to bed together, instead of sleeping in our separate rooms. Alexandra was uneasy about something, but she wouldn't tell me what. She said she didn't want to sleep alone. I went to sleep and that was it. I thought I would wake up the next morning and she would be lying there beside me."