Avery gave a half-smile and slowly touched her belly. Shelly kneeled and whispered in her stomach. "Sorry for my language, my dear godchild. Please forgive your pretty godmother!"

"Godmother?! That I'll need to think about." Avery snorted. Shelly laughed hard.

"But seriously, Ave. If there's any consolation to you finding out, it's closing, Chapter David. What do you say?"

Shelly stood up and motioned for Avery to give her space on the bed. She got inside the sheet beside her. Just like all the times they both remembered. Sitting beside each other on either one's bed means a long and serious girl talk. Avery didn't decline; she always felt comfortable telling Shelly everything inside her heart—the more when she wanted to spare her parents' hearts from breaking again.

"Even without confirming the result, I've already decided." Avery placed her hand on top of her heart and laughed. "Though this heart of mine can't seem to move on yet, my brain's working wonderfully this time."

"It'll take time, for sure. Better to do it under the amazing Florida sun in your bikini." Shelly pointed to the curves of her body.

"I thought it wouldn't matter. I was hoping I had already cried it all. But, it was funny how a piece of paper or a series of numbers—99.99—crushed my soul today." Avery kept shaking her head.

"What about we change it to a 100? Like, I'm 100 percent sure someone is waiting for you somewhere. Or  someone is getting ready for you, Ave."

"I don't know. I'm not thinking about those Shells. Anyway, I have my little bean to focus on. But seriously, how come no one told me it would be this painful?" Avery asked, massaging her chest.

Shelly lifted her chin and cupped her face. "I think the heavens sent my life story as a reminder. Art's mistake was a warning sign. But David was too fucked up to learn from it."

"Where am I in that equation, then?" Avery smirked. "You, my best friend, are getting prepared for something bigger, somewhere better, and someone best for you!"

"Oh, Shelly! Stop with your hopeless romantic lines! Who'd ever want someone like me?"

"Hey! Look at me! Don't you ever underestimate yourself! You deserve someone better. When you go to Florida, live your life!"

"I will surely miss you, Shells!" Avery pinched her best friend's cheeks.  "What am I gonna do without you?" She started sobbing.

"You fool! I'm just a plane ride away. Anytime you ask me to come, I'll be there with Art in tow." Shelly's eyes glistened with tears.

In between tears and sobs, the two hugged each other tightly. They would surely miss being near each other, but the bond founded by genuine friendship wouldn't change a thing between them. They were each other's do-or-die. In silence and hugs, they vowed to keep it that way.

True to her promise, Shelly stayed with Avery for the night while Art kept David company. They may have had different views on the circumstances between Avery and David, but genuine friendship kept them together.

After Shelly left the following day, Avery realized she still had the engagement ring. She thought long and hard. How would she give it back? Nobody else came to mind. So to return the ring and say goodbye, she sent a message.

***

Avery waited inside the coffee shop David had proposed to her a year ago. She sat in their favorite spot. Her eyes wandered the corners of their favorite place until they reached their engagement picture posted on the cafe's wall. She circled her thumb around the diamond engagement ring on her finger. It was an heirloom from David's mother's side of the family. She smiled as she remembered the happiness and overflowing emotions she felt when her dream guy expressed his love for her in a way she would never forget. 

She closed her eyes as memories of her and David flashed back. Today was her last day in Boston. How ironic that when he promised forever, it started in the same spot where she was currently savoring the end of all their memories together. As she touched the ring on her finger, she whispered, What started here, ends here.

"Have you been waiting long? I'm sorry if I made you wait." The voice awakened Avery.

Avery opened her eyes and smiled. "No, not at all. You're just in time."

"Thank you for asking me to meet you. You don't know how happy you made me when I read your message."

***