Chapter One

London, England
Present Time
——

"I can't believe you are still wearing that!"

I can't believe you are still annoying. [Y/N] remarked dryly, rolling her eyes as she looked up.

In front of her stood her boss and her landlady, an old woman with a big hooked nose, her eyes bulging from her face. Her hands were firmly set on her hips. The colorful fancy dress that she was wearing was covered with an apron that was stained with coffee beans and sugar.

"Come on Miss Smith. What I am wearing is not bad." She responded with a sigh, shaking her head and looking back down to the book in her hands. The pages of 'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy stared back.

Miss Smith stomped her feet in anger. Her voice was thick with a German accent. "No! No! It is quite bad. A lady like yourself shouldn't be wearing such.. such.. filthy clothes! You have enough money to get decent fabrics but you are wearing tattered and fraying tunics and pants. I swear, you look as if you came right out of the sewer."

That is the third time you have told me that this week already, and it's not even Tuesday yet.

[Y/N] blinked slowly with irritation. How many times must she tell this woman why she wears these clothes?

"Miss Smith, I do not have enough money to buy decent clothes. What I am wearing is normal for peasants and people of my status, and even if I did have the money, I would not waste it on clothes. I would use it on food or shelter instead.. not something I don't need. These clothes warm me up enough."

"But you smell!" She scoffed, her nose curling in disgust. It was like everything she was saying was going through one ear and out the other. But that's expected. She is a middle class citizen that could be considered rich by some. Why she hired her and let her live in the room above her coffee shop is beyond her.

Please, if any gods exist, give me the strength to not yell at this woman. [Y/N] tensed and her teeth gritted together. She slapped her book closed as crossed her legs as she snapped her gaze back to the woman, eyebrows furrowed. "I will be blunt. I'm poor and the money I get isn't enough for me to have a lot of luxuries. I'm grateful but I can't buy everything with just some money." She paused and pushed herself up from her seat, "and I do not smell. I take showers every day and wash my clothes. You just don't like the fact I'm not wearing something fancy."

Miss Smith didn't say anything. She just mumbled some insults under her breath and stormed from the room that you call a flat. The door rattled on the hinges as it was slammed shut.

[Y/N] chuckled weakly. "Finally.. now I can finally read some of my letters and the newspaper with peace."

Not that she got a lot of letters. In fact, only three people ever write to her about anything. She inched towards her desk and gilded her fingers through the envelopes and papers. A few names stuck out but that was it. Is there anything new? Anything to take her out of the boredom of her life? She licked her lips and tore through the first letter given to her.

There was a letter from some old woman down the street who she always helps water her flowers on her window sill. The corners of her mouth tilted in a smile at the shaky sweet handwriting of the woman. It was like some grandma doting and thanking their grandchild over and over again.

I'll have to visit her later. She will likely want me to come and water her plants later this evening so I can thank her for the letter then.

She sat down the torn envelope and looked towards the next letter awaiting to be read. That small smile on her face diminished within an instant. One word, one word that means so much, stared back at her on the front of the envelope near the corner of the paper.