Masquerading

I'm not the most treasured Queen ever. My subjects both hate and fear me with a fiery passion ever since their beloved princess was pronounced a fugitive by her own step-mother. This just happens to be me, The Evil Queen. I hate that people call me that I'm not that evil. Sure I have tortured and killed a third of my kingdom because they help Snow escape from my army of black knights. I am insulted by this but I don't show it. I just put on a smirk and go on with my day, but sometimes the young pure me on the inside, sort of my alternative ego, will come out and take my brain into a guilty sorrow state. This is where I stay in my chambers and sob asking myself petty question after question in hopes of making myself stop then I remember I am evil because I was born this way. My mother was evil and heartless, literally heartless, and now me, her only child.

"Your majesty the Hatter is here to see you." I looked up from my spell book that I had stolen from my mother years before when I was still a hopeful before I realized my magical potential. I stood up from my vanity and walked down my hall of mirrors. I saw he was following me. I could see his face transporting from one mirror to another.

"What is the Mad Hatter doing here?" He hollered following me down the hallway. I flipped the end of my dress behind me spinning to face him. He stopped abruptly and I smiled.

"If I want my subjects to like me I have to be social and if I have to be social then I have to do things I am not comfortable with." He looked at me and thought while staring at me.

"You are hosting a ball aren't you?" I nodded sighing unhappily.

"Masquerade ball actually." He nodded and continued to follow me while I made my way to the courtyard. "I hope no one will recognize me." He sighed and I knew what he was going to say as soon as I finished my sentence.

"But your majesty why wouldn't you? You are absolutely beautiful." As much as I love hearing that I know that he is trying to get me to love him. He is a good companion but I can't love him; the only man I ever loved is dead. I stopped again and shook my head.

"Stop flirting with me Genie, I know you trapped yourself in there to be with me forever but I didn't want that." I walked quickly down to the courtyard to see the Mad Hatter eating an apple by my tree. "Jefferson so good to see you again it's been so long." He stood up not amused by me he fixed his hat and picked up his bag of supplies.

"What do you want your majesty?" He asked coldly looking distastefully at me. I waved my hand and we walked back into the castle towards my fitting room which used to be Queen Eva's study before Genie killed King Leopold. I had material and mannequins scattering the room. This was Jefferson's place to work on my dresses, hats, and other things that I ask him to make for me.

"Jefferson, I am hosting a masquerade ball tonight and I need a dress and a mask. You are the best tailor I know in this realm." He looked at me in shock.

"You are hosting a ball?! Did Rumple slip you something yesterday in your tea?" I shook my head aware of his use of humor which made a smirk appear on my face before I replied to him.

"Yes, I am hosting a ball I am inviting my royal advisors from around the realm and my subjects are allowed only if they bring a gift for me." He snickered at me as he sat down crisscross in the middle of the floor all the different kinds of material sprawled out in front of him.

"So if I make this dress may Grace and I come to your ball?" I nodded as I sat down on the fainting sofa with a smile on my face.

"Of course Jefferson, I will allow that." He smiled and stood up looking at the door.

"I'll go get Grace and I'll come back." I shook my head standing up blocking the door.

"No need Jefferson, I'll send Graham to go get her. You get to work and I'll stay with you for company." He chuckled at me as he pulled a pair of scissors from his bag.