26 | stuck like glue

Start from the beginning

Jake's eyes narrow ever so slightly as he raises his own cup to his lips. "I don't want to hear it."

"Told you you'd learn to like it."

"Well, you didn't give me much of a choice."

"Uh-huh," Stella sips at the tea, wincing again as she straightens up—having moved too quickly. "Ow."

"Hey, try to–" Jake reaches out, gently brushing her hair out of her face. His fingers pause against her cheek. "Wow you're hot."

Stella reaches for another Kleenex. "I'm not feeling too hot right now."

Jake presses his lips together, those not-quite-dimples-dimples on display—as if he's holding back a laugh. "I meant you're burning up."

Gaze dropping to her tea, Stella wipes at her runny nose, her voice coming out small. "So you don't think I'm hot?"

 Jake blows out a breath, the back of hand coming to rest against her forehead; it's comfortably cool against her warm skin.

"Of course I do, just–" He hands her another Kleenex as a hint of amusement dances over his lips. "Maybe without the yuck coming out your nose."

 Stella gives a faint laugh, soon crossing over into a series of coughs. They burn the base of her throat, all the way down into her chest.

She presses her teeth together as a cry catches in her throat. "I ruined our day."

Jake puts his cup of tea away, his other hand still held to her forehead as he lets his palm rest upon hers. "No you didn't," He shoots her a look, empathy lingering in his dark eyes, as her lip begins to wobble. "You didn't; it's not your fault."

Stella taps her thumb against her cup. "I was just really looking forward to it."

"I know," Jake's lips tug up once. "Me too. But we'll get our date, don't worry."

Glancing out the window; squinting at the bright rays of sun shining through the glass—seeming to cast both the garden and the house in a warm glow, Stella sighs. "You should just leave me here in my misery. It's a beautiful day; go out, have fun."

"Sorry, no can do."

"Why?"

Jake brushes another few stray hairs out of her face. "'Cause I'm taking care of you."

"No."

"Yes. And that's non-negotiable."

Stella rolls her eyes, grimacing as her entire head hurts. "What if I get you sick?"

"Well, then I guess we'll be miserable together," Jake considers her for a beat, leaning over to place a gentle peck on her forehead. "Want a wet towel?"

Sinking back against the cushions, Stella's about to make another case against him being in the same room as her as the exhaustion hits and instead, she simply sips at her tea. A small smile curls on her lips as she nods. "Yeah, thank you."

━ ♡♡♡ ━

Hands slightly held out to her sides so she won't lose her balance, sniffling even though she blew her nose right before getting to her feet, Stella slowly pads into the kitchen.

Jake glances over his shoulder, lips resting in a small smile where he's stood by the stove—flipping pancakes. "Hey."

"Hi," Stella says, letting her arms slide around his waist, leaning her cheek against his back; the fabric of his shirt lays soft against her skin.